Power steering problem

I just replaced the power valve on my 70 Cougar. I hooked up the hoses the way they came off ( I am pretty sure!) But now the steering seems real tight. Did I cross a hose from the power cylinder to the power valve? The two from the power cylinder to the power valve are the only ones I am not sure of. I replaced the power cylinder a few weeks ago and the steering was good but sloppy and would not track well down the road. I replaced the power valve tonight with a rebuilt one and now it feels like there is no power steering but it definitly handles better. Any help appreciated. Kevin

Reply to
yobosaeyo

Are you talking about a carburetor or a power steering gear? If youre talking about the gear fill up the pump and turn the wheel all the way to both sides with the engine idling to bleed it, then recheck the level. If it still doesn't work, check for a slipping belt (seams it would smoke unless it was very loose) since the pump is new and worked with the old gear I would guess the gear is bad. If you were to somehow reverse the hoses and the pump works, it would blow the return hose up it a heatbeat. Does it make any noise at all? If not might be the pump's shaft may have broken. (seen that a few times, no leaks, all looks good but it won't pump any fluid, and no warning) If you mean you replaced the power valve on your Holley disregard all of the above. :)

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Been a long, log time since I worked with one of these systems.... IIRC, it is easy to get the adjustment on the spool so tight that it can't open the hyraulic ports. Even when these systems were much newer, they weren't that great....

Reply to
Jim Warman

If you are talking about the hydralic ram assist: If you put the hoses on backwards you will know about it in a hurry. First time you turn the wheel with engine on the steering system will voilently swing to max both directions all by itself.

There are set screws on that assembly to adjust for response. It has been decades since I played with such systems. Last was a 70 torino GT Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

I threaded the new unuit to the mark left by the old one. The only screws I see seem to be for a different type of metal "cap" on the end of the unit.

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
yobosaeyo

Reply to
yobosaeyo

There's 4 hoses on the valve.... One is from the pump (high pressure) one is a return to the reservoir (pump). The other two are for the ram.... one for "extend" and one for "retract"...

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman