Ford Galaxy power steering noisy

New model, makes quite a racket, is it normal or faulty?

Sounds a bit noisy to me, but my Mini was like that.

Reply to
Nige

Didn't know mini's had power steering.

Reply to
Rob

The new Mini, not the old BL thing.

Reply to
Nige

That's a Bini not a Mini.

Reply to
Rob

yawn.

Reply to
Nige

it should not be noticeable under normal conditions. first thing to check is power steering fluid level and security of pump.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nige wrote on 22/02/2010 :

On full lock? That is normal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Correctly written it's a MINI - pretty well universal convention now.

Reply to
asahartz

Just asking - is it a model where the hydraulics is powered by an electric motor - rather than a belt from the engine?

(My Honda has electric power steering - no hydraulics at all)

Reply to
John

Risky to use full lock with power steering - as the force on the wheel is amplified and as the steering can't move - it can damage a seal.

Reply to
John

Only if your power steering's already buggered.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

.....but why would you want to apply any pressure to the wheel when on full lock? It won't go any further. Best not to punish the system - I guess a pressure relief by-pass operates - but why chance it? Something is taking punishment.

Reply to
John

I asked about this when I had my power steering rack replaced. The garage (which does nothing but power steering fitting) said it wasn't the case.

Reply to
The Revd

Well shoving hard against full locks pointless, but full lock itself isn't an issue, and the bypass is what makes the noise.

Reply to
Duncan Wood