problems with heating system; hot engine (Windstar 96)

Recently I got the battery replaced in my 96 Windstar. When I was coming back home I noticed two strange things: 1/ the heating systems was not working properly (taking long to get any hot air and breaks in hot air - i.e. the ear coming out was hot/cold/hot);

2/ the engine temperature gauge stayed for a while between 75-90%, then came down to the regular 50%.

What can be wrong? Can it be any link between those problems and the battery replacement or is it coincidental? Thanks in advance for any help.

Pumex

Reply to
pumex

pumex opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

you either have low coolant, thus are seeing air bubble in engine... a blown head gasket, or both

Taking too long to get warm air out is a real tell tale, and when it bows hot-cold-hot.. that's really low.

Likewise, a bad HG gets a bubble from the cylinder during compression.

Have the coolant system pressure tested NOW.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

When they took it out for a test ride they might have blown the head gasket.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

LOL

Your funny

Always blame somebody else, right

Reply to
johanb

Thanks to all who replied. I didn't do much driving lately, however, I checked the coolant level and made a short test drive. The coolant reservoir was almost empty, which surprised me as recently I was changing the oil at Walmart and paid them extra for topping up all the fluids and after that I relied on them that there should be enough of the coolant. Anyway, it wasn't and I added some - a little over the line on the reservoir. During the test drive I had the feeling that the heating system was working better and the engine temperature gauge was showing about 50%, which made me happy...

However, I got another not too good signal - infamous "Check the engine" light went on!... I had in the past and it was disappearing, so I hope that it will be the same after I add some better gas (filled up two days ago with regular). I would appreciate any more comments. Thanks in advance. Pumex

Reply to
pumex

No, that's what the customers usually do to the mechanic or technician that touched their machine. The usual ones... the radiator started leaking after you replaced the muffler. water is leaking into the trunk following a headlamp bulb replacement, etc.. You've experienced them I'm sure.

Bill - - copier / printer tech who inherited the family business (junk yard)

Reply to
berkshire bill

Yepp, your right

I think I've heard them all too :-)

Johan

Reply to
johanb

"pumex" wrote in news:1099642674.429440.140940 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

It is important that you find where that lost coolant is going. If it is getting into your engine, you should not drive the car until the cause is repaired. Costly engine damage can happen if you ignore this.

Rodney

Reply to
Rodney

Karnack says:

3.8 lost coolant check engine light lack of heat. mist or sweet smell out of the exhaust:

Answer: get the head gasket and water pump cover gasket changed.

Once water is in the oil, the clock will start ticking LOUDER.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ