Quality of the 2005 Taurus SE

Let us hope so. I had a Fiat that rusted through an exhaust manifold. That was 45 years ago, and the car was used when I bought it. Maybe -this- cast iron is thick enough (seems to be plenty thick) that it will not burn through.

I also see that the air conditioning compressor mounting bracket is cast iron, and well-rusted. That I don't care about as much, as it seems beefy enough for the load with the design of it. Lots of I-brace designs in it.

Anyhow, I agree it is not a big deal.

Because at least an exhaust manifold is a small and easy to get to thing ( at least the one in the front of the vehicle is, can't say about the back Bank 1 manifold ), and once you have the new part, can't take but an hour or so to replace each one.

I'm certain the heads are of no concern whatsoever, due to their massive design.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Aldert E. van der Laan opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

An amazing amount of repartee for a non-issue.

Surface rust does no harm.. especially on cast iron, it is when that turns to a rust scale that there's a problem.

Cast Iron resists scale formation as you can see on almost any old manifold.

The REAL culprit is in certain steel alloys...I havent seen or heard of a domestic exhaust pipe -manifold to cat- rusting out for years..

To the contrary was my kid's 5 year old renault (Eagle) which manifold to cat essentially crumbled under the assault of midwest road salt.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The heads and manifolds have never been painted, so there was no paint to burn off. It is not poor quality to not paint them. Your not being picky, your confusing what defines quality.

Reply to
pick one

The rust does in fact provide a protective coating to cast iron which can be a protective as a coat of paint over the long haul. The problem that is sometimes found in painting cast iron items is that the paint will sometimes de-laminate from the surface on things that are continuously cycled between hot and cold providing a place for moisture to collect which promotes corrosion. The rust coating tends to "breath" for the lack of a better term at the moment allowing the moisture to be driven from the coating as soon as the engine starts to warm and reduces the rate of corrosion overall. This is not true of sheet steel product which do need to be protected by a coat of paint or plating. Non-ferrous materials also have no particular need for a paint coating. The white oxide coating it aquires with exposeure will provide good protection. Don't look too purrty but, works. If you want to get more technical, I am sure there is a metallurgist somewhere in the group to further explain.

Reply to
lugnut

I used to take appart engines for my dad's company that rebuilt engines. I have never seen a manifold show anything that indicates real damage from rust. We used glasss beader (which is like a sand blaster in a cabinet) to clean the manifolds. The part numbers that were cast on the manifolds were always visible after beading them. So I really doubt that they get any damage from rust.

The other thing is that they are dry (at least on the outside) because they get hot. Any water evaporates pretty fast. And they are covered by the hood, so unless the weather is really nasty, they won't get wet. And any water that splashes up on them doesn't stay on the manifold long enough to cause rust.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Look under the hood of any brand vehicle with CAST IRON parts and you will find surface rust. Look under the hood of any old car with CAST IRON parts and you will see those parts are still there, still rusted. Not too worry those parts will be around longer than you ;)

mike hunt

"Aldert E. van der Laan" wrote:

Reply to
BenDover