i am new

i am new to the jeep community and i have been looking for a wile, and have wonderd what is prefered by jeep owners when it comes to a trany, standard or automatic???

Reply to
stephenbuddrus

Welcome to Jeeping!

Both types of trannies are 'preferred', which do 'you' prefer..... LOL!

Having no clutch in nice in traffic and when rock crawling, but is not really nice if sand pit wall climbing due to uncontrolled downshifting.

Both are 'very' bad for water crossing because Jeep in it's wisdumb didn't put high water vents on the tranny, only stoopid button vents. A standard can be modified with vent hoses 'much' easier than an automatic....

Both can be emptied out and refilled after though and still keep on running from what I have seen, more than once....

An auto costs in gas mileage also.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

This is bizarre, uncontolled down shifing? Maybe if you never use gear selector but since when is being able to downshift UNDER POWER in snad bad??? Maybe it is better to just bog ot with a stick at times.

THis is partially true but a manual is not much more immune to the effect of deep water than a automatis. Actuall auto matic tend to be a bit better stock because it has a pressure vent that open under pressure not just a air vent like most manuals. The main reason why trannies take on water is because when they are hot abd cooled suddenly in water this cools the air in them suddne which cause a pressure drop and cause water to be sucked into tranny and sometimes even past seals.

Best to take PROPER steps to keep it out to bengin with

THis is not realy true musch any more as some modern 4 and more speed automatic can get as good of MPG as a stick and automatic tend to be more consistant with MPG too. A Maunal can give you better speed controll under some conditions off road because you do not have the converter stall making things "sloppy" at lower speeds. Automatic are more forgiving with big tires and stock gears because of torque converter helping in launch and theycan muiltpy torque up to 2x and more in gear while a manual does not multiply anything slipping clutch.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Unlike you, we off road. When sand pit wall or ravine wall climbing, you need steady power, momentum and torque, you cannot shift gears half way up.

An automatic when put into 2nd to limit that one down shift at least can get up the speed to have some momentum, but then halfway up the hill, the sucker downshifts and the Jeep just stops and digs holes.

I have many photos of the poor folks with automatics trying and trying and trying to get up the pit walls. The have to go around usually.

They make a kit to lock out first gear for some of the automatic trannys to help avoid this.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Hi and welcome. It really depends on your personal preferences and what you will be doing. My own preference is for a stick, unless driving a large pickup truck, however, an auto would sure be nice when I have to go to the city and end up stuck in traffic. lol. Its really what you like and what you do. I suspect the next time I get a car it will be an auto, but I really like my Jeep to be a manual. Part of that is probably because I learned to drive on manual transmissions. It was many years before I drove my first automatic and I still have issues with them some times. =)

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Hi Stephen

What is your budget? What do you plan to do with a Jeep?

Merrill

Reply to
merrill

Hi there. What do you plan to do with the Jeep? My last 2 Jeeps have been manuals and I like it that way. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

OK, a little anecdotal evidence to counter this. I have a '95 YJ, 4 cyl, 5 speed, all stock. My kid had a '95 YJ, 4 cyl, auto, all stock. I consistantly got about 4-5 miles to the gallon better than him over the same roads. Of course we weren't plowing snow at the time.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

I realize transmission type is a very important factor, however have you decided on a particular model Jeep yet? If you are looking for a "vintage" or somewhat older Jeep having already decided on a trans type may be a limiting factor. Of course, if you are looking for a new Jeep, you can get it in whichever you want.

For what it's worth, I have an auto in my '87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, and like it. I tend to shift it manually a lot while on the road & off. Of course, you don't really get the same level of control as you do a stick, but I like it. It's nice to be able to hop in & not worry about clutching sometimes.

On the other hand, the auto transmission in my Jeep tends to get warm when the transmission is under load. With a large "towing package" cooler in front of my radiator, it heats up the entire engine compartment while off roading if in high-range.

I think it really comes down to what you want to use it for & what your personal preferance is. Even with the drawbacks, I like the auto in my Jeep.

Good luck! Clay

Reply to
Clay B Carley

Not with a stick but you can power shift if need be with a automatic. Automatic rule in hard pulls plan and simple because you CAN change ratios under power if need be and select gear to match traction and speed. A lot of dozer have a torque converter in drive because it allws for torque mulitplaction under load and makes power shifts smoother too. YOu are wrong on this one as your are on a lot of things as usual

Maybe which some like you that beleive that proper axle ratios do not matter. A Automatic rules here too because you can feather your traction far better than with a stick. My K3500 60000lb truck never goes down to 1st in low range no matter what you are doing under load nor does my old J20 even one hardest pulls. Why because I do not believe in you tall tinker toy axle ratios that severly limits your effective gear ratios. People like you with no vision or understanding of all this think none of this matter. BTW, howmany trucks in unlimited truck pulls have you seen with a manual??? Likely none.

Likely because they share your beleif that axle ratios have no effect on power and traction. Give me a automatic and gears in same vehical and I will get through anything you can with your tinker toy and they some

Again you are so clueless here, they have anthoer solution too it is called proper gears for engine and tire size because if it is right you will NEVER need first in low range on the move unless you need to crawl real slow. If you need first it is because your effective gear ratio (tire size and axle ratio) is too tall for your engine/vehicle combo. I can see whay you do not see this though because you have NEVER owned a 4x4 that was properly geared to begin with so you do not know any better.

Never forget the ego sig, you cannot get your troll merit badge without one.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

No, you are wrong in all you 'ass'umptions.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

hi thank you for your responce. i am new so i do not know much i have only had small cars, never a truck or jeep, i will be doing a lot of city driving as well as some off roading, trails, and mudding and eventuly some rock crawling so i am stuck on the trany decession. and what kind of gass milage can i expect out of the six cylinder

Reply to
stephenbuddrus

well i will be driving around town alot, and doing some mudding and eventuly some rock crawling, so i dont know what to do trany wise. i have never had a truck or jeep befor so i do not know much

Reply to
stephenbuddrus

well i will be driving it in the city but mudding and probly eventuly some rock crawling, but i just am stuck between desicissions.

Reply to
stephenbuddrus

wrote

hi thank you for your responce. i am new so i do not know much i have only had small cars, never a truck or jeep, i will be doing a lot of city driving as well as some off roading, trails, and mudding and eventuly some rock crawling so i am stuck on the trany decession. and what kind of gass milage can i expect out of the six cylinder

You will LOVE your Jeep! I've driven standard transmissions for most of my life. I've owned two CJs, both with the stick and now own an 06 Rubicon with an automatic. I chose the auto because I have a bad tendon in my clutch foot. I like it! Not being a hardcore off roader, I think it was the right choice for me.

You need to choose what YOU will be most comfortable with. What works for one person, may not work for you. Drive them both and see what you think.

I don't remember the mileage on the others but on this one - whew! It's BAD! I get an average of 15 mpg on a good day.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

I'm going to take the leap here... I say buy an automatic.

It may be easier for you to get used to in the beginning.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

I think 'both' the auto and standard are good, so I would recommend you get what 'you' like to drive.

It depends on what year you get, but they have the aerodynamics of flying bricks so the mileage isn't great.

I have a fiberglass (read light) CJ7 with a manually tweaked (no computer) 258 carburetor engine with the 5 speed and can get a decent enough 23 mpg highway. I have a few friends with YJ's and CJ's with the same setup in their engine as mine and they also get over 20 mpg. One friend with a CJ like mine and automatic is about 4 mpg lower.

The newer Fuel Injection engines compromise this good mileage for the convenience of not having to tune up quite so often so they seem to get just below 20 for the standard and closer to 16 for the automatic.

If you are not comfortable around carbs, you want a post 91 Wrangler with the FI engine.

Here is what the Canadian branch of this newsgroup users do with our Jeeps:

Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Day Trip Misc.

16/02
03
04
Mike