Question about my 1991 Ford Taurus

I was leaving work the other day and I made it a mile down the road and my car just dies. It would start back up for 30 seconds and then shut off again. When I tried to immediately restart it, it would chug a bit but not turn over.

I towed it home and my uncle replaced the PCV Valve on it and it seemed to run fine for a bit of driving around town and then it died again. It continues to do the same thing, It starts up for 20-30 seconds and then die again.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I was thinking Fuel pump or filter.

Reply to
missar1031

Sounds possible. You need to test the fuel pressure when it's doing this.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I would first pull any stored trouble codes and run KOEO (and, if possible KOER) on-demand diagnostics. If this vehicle has a check-engine light, the only tool you need is a paper clip. Google for EECIV diagnostics to find out how. Post here what you found -- there may be a good clue there...

Reply to
Happy Traveler

If he has a simple fuel delivery problem, and he most likely does, pulling the codes will present a ton of red herrings. You're likely to have several codes just because the thing is stalling out. Testing a whole bunch of circuits or sensors would waste a lot of time, imho.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but, personally, I'd rule out fuel pressure problems first. After all, we're dealing with EEC-IV; it's not high tech...

CJB

Reply to
CJB

The other likely candidate, a failed ignition module, would also not show up with the codes.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Indeed, but if, as the OP mentioned, the engine re-starts after stalling, it's unlikely to be the infamous TFI module failure. I would hate to tell someone to go through the hassle and expense of replacing it, just to find out that it won't help. Measuring fuel pressure is, of course, the right thing to do -- if they have a gauge. But something abuot the story of uncle replacing the PCV valve first is telling me that they don't have one (I mean a gauge, not a PCV valve...) And any amateurish method of checking for fuel delivery is dangerous, especially around a hot engine. I would still advise sticking that paper clip and reading the codes. There is nothing to lose, and both the OP and his/her uncle may gain some useful knowledge in the process.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

In the TFI failures of the 80's the module did fail totally. there have been other instances on here regarding 90 series units where the symptoms fit (heat related, internal short or open), restarts then stops as unit heats up.

As CJB said.. the codes thrown MIGHT be superfluous and from same source.

But it's worth trying, relevent codes would shown 'Lean' condition.

I suggest the poster listen for the fuel pump. If he hears it runn> Indeed, but if, as the OP mentioned, the engine re-starts after

\
Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

What motor? 3.8? losing any water? If it is a 3.8 and your smelling a sweet smell when it happens, your head gasket may be leaking.

If you have not done any maintenance, now is the time. Replace fuel filter, spark plugs & wires. Check all small vacuum hoses for deterioration and replace as needed. Look close there are many and some are hidden. Clean battery cables and retorque all connections.

Others have mentioned the TFI module. Both of mine that died went dead. but that's not saying intermittent is not possible. Its on the base of the distributor on some models and it takes a special thin wall socket tool to get the mount screws out. Make sure you put the thermal grease on when you change it (if you do).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz