Re: 78 Cortina 3.0s Cuts Out

Rusty opined in news:3f4ee5da$0$ snipped-for-privacy@hades.is.co.za:

Hi All, > > I recently managed to lay my hands on an older Cortina 3.0s in mint > condition (83000 km true on clock). Drove it from the sellers house, across > the country down to my place, about 1600 km without any problems save a > slight jerk at about 80 km/h in one particular place. Didn't think much of > it then but now it has developed a serious jerk / jerks at between 80 - 90 > km/h, sometimes even cutting out. Accelerating harder seems to solve the > prolem or dropping speed to below 80 seems to allow it to come right too. I > thought it might be some dirt in the fuel line so I installed an in line > fuel filter but that has not solved it. > > Any idea's, coil? Distributer? > > Any comments / ideas / help would be greatly appreciated. > > Tia > Rusty > > >

It have a tach? Does tach glitch when this happens? {assume M/T, remeber the engine is directly connected to wheels}

Is it rpm/load related or highway speed related?

Do a full ignition tune-up and replace the coil as well, check dist plate and shaft for looseness, play, wobble.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Check for bad spark plug wires. They may have intermittent high resistance and you will get erratic firing, most notably under load. Very likely if the car has been sitting for a long time.

Had it happen on an engine replacement in my 67 Mustang convertible back in

  1. The replacement engine had been sitting out in the weather for a while, and while it ran fine otherwise, it missed badly while accelerating. Was pretty scary driving home to NY from RI that way, but a new set of wires eliminated the problem.

Chris Bowne Stonington, CT

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Thanks for the advice Chris, I did give a thought to the plug wires but assumed (perhaps mistakenly) that if it was them, they would cause problems continuously; and so ruled them out. But, I'll try a new set, thanks for the help.

Cheers Rusty

Reply to
Rusty