Re: 94 Escort LX Sudden Engine Quit - Engine Control Module Related?

Thanks for the help. I was thinking about a jumped timing belt, but had rationalized it as unlikely - wouldn't I get at least a rough, but running engine?

The car has the distributorless high energy ignition, with the square coil pack. I'll try checking the timing with a light. What did you mean by "with the spout disconnected"? In olden days, I would think that meant with the mechanical vacuum advance line disconnected and plugged. You mean ten degrees BTDC right? I'll also check to see if I can check belt timing with a set of match marks on the gear, as typically you can do.

I'll try the injector tests next after the belt timing. I have NOT smelled any raw fuel either at the engine or at the exhaust pipe, which I would think I would have if the timing was off and I was dumping raw fuel into the cylinders that was obviously not getting ignited.

The belt is suspect, as it's the original one. Should be replaced at 115k regardless of its current condition, good or bad, although Ford only included belt replacement in the maintenance schedule for the 1.8 high output engine.

What's really got me wondering is the odd interaction between the cooling fan and the fuel injection fuse - but maybe that's a "normal" result of the ECM programming. If anyone would check this out on a properly running car with the same ECM, I would be interested in hearing about the results.

Reply to
Chris Bowne

BTW - How do you read the codes (including pin out of the connector) on the diagnostics on this car, which is pre-OBDII?

I don't think I have a Check Engine light, but tough to tell for sure with the engine not running.

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Chris Bowne opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Ahh, then you're outa my league... I still would check to see if you're getting injector pulse..

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You should be able to pick up a spare ECM at a U-pull it junkyard real cheap.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

If your timing belt jumps teeth, the car might not run at all. That's what happened to my 92 escort when I forgot to tighten the tensioner. It skpipped a few teeth and then wouldn't start. On the 1.9, taking the timing belt cover off is a big pain. It invlolves removing the accesory belt, removing the engine mount (make sure your engine is supported), then the cover will come off. I had to take the crankshaft pulley off to see the mark on the crankshaft that lines up with a mark on the block. As long as you have it apart that far, replace the timing belt.

-Mistercmk

Reply to
Mistercmk