Re: 97 T-bird engine

Tweliver opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m16.aol.com:

I have a '97 Thunderbird with the 4.6 L engine. A while back, I was > talking with my roommate about boosting my performance by putting in a > nitrous kit. He said it would likely burn the valves and I should get > another engine or another cheap car for performance on the racetrack. > Is that true, or will a nitrous work? What if I put in a turbocharger > or supercharger, or is that impossible or too much?

IF I were you I'd check with the guys on

and
about that...

I also have the gas tank out of my old Ranchero to clean out the rust > and gunk from it. What's the best way to do it? Is there something to > clean it out with at the auto parts store, or is there somewhere I can > take it, and how much should I pay? It's still in good shape, and new > ones cost $200, so anything less than that is good price-wise. >

I'd get that new tank for 200 rather than try to half-way it... If it has rust in it... and you try to clean it, you might spend hours getting it clean only to find pin-hole leaks a short time later.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It may burn the valves but probably not any faster then any other engine..

Reply to
Arthur Hardy

I can't help on the nitrous, but see if there's someone in your area that reconditions gas tanks. I had one done for a 78 leSabre at a place here called Gas Tank Renew. They open the tank, clean it, spray it with some sort of sealer & close it back up. I got a garantee against leaks & rust-out for as long as I owned the car. Cost was about $100.00.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Professional Shop Rat: 14,052 days in a GM plant.

David Starr

I'd swap it out with a 3.8L SC engine. You can get them on eBay.

Reply to
SMoo