Re: clarify tow hitch capacity

What you have there is the receiver..... you still need the hitch. Just as the decal states, if you use a weight distributing hitch (i.e., an equalizer hitch with bars) in this receiver, you can expect to tow a 6,000 pound trailer but the tongue weight (the load on the ball without the equalizer bars installed) cannot exceed 600 pounds. Lot's of info here...

If you aren't using a weight distributing hitch, you can tow a trailer weighing 3500 pounds total but the tongue weight can only be 350 pounds.

I also recommend checking the VIN decal on the drivers door to be sure that the receiver accurately reflects the true towing capacity of the vehicle (the receiver decal indicates the rating of the hitch, not of the car). There should be a line marked "GCWR" (gross combined vehicle weight rating).

HTH

Can anyone help me clarify the rating for my tow hitch. I want to tow around > 4500lbs but I read different things on different web sites. I've also read > about 'weight distribution equipment'. Is this it? > > I have attached some photos of the hitch in question. > > thanks in advance. > > >
Reply to
Jim Warman

thanks jim - i understand now. Thats a good website too.

Reply to
Andyt