Re: Ford Tweaks The Marketing Of Hybrids In New Commercial, Explains "Hybrid Gap"

My understanding is that Ford licensed the technology from Toyota. Also,

That would be incorrect. There were some licenses taken where it was thought that the Ford developments might infringe on Toyota patents, but no Toyota technology was used outright.

Some stories attribute the early development to Volvo, acquired by Ford, but I don't see any official statements to that effect.

the Escape and Mazda Tribute are "corporate twins". Mazda has a good

The Escape was originally designed by Mazda as a crossover utilizing much of the Mazda 626 platform. The 2.3l engine in the Escape is the Mazda 6 engine.

Reply to
dold

Depends on what you mean by "Toyota Technology." The Toyota Technology was primarly developed by one of the Aisin Seiko family companies (Aisin-Warner as I recall). Ford gets major componets from this supplier (as does Toyota). And since Toyota is the primary owner of the Aisin compnaies that supply the parts to Ford, it really is Toyota Technology.

Volvo holds a number of patents related to CVT transmission (which they originally aquired when they bought DAF). Volvo also did a lot of work on hybrids in years past. Since Ford owns 100% of Volvo, there is no reason to refer to the technology as Volvo technology.

I think this is not an entirely correct statement. I think a more accurate statement would be that Ford and Mazda co-developed the Escape/Tribute. The only major "Mazda" compoment an Escape shares with the Mazda 6 is a version of the four cylinder engine (which is also used in the Fusion and Ranger, and which is built in a Ford plant in Mexico) and transmissions (also used in the Fusion). The automatic transmission is a Ford design built in a Ford plant. The suspension is nothing like a Mazda 6. And of course, Ford effectively controls Mazda, even if they only own around 36% of Mazda.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I view that differently. Toyota invested heavily in Aisin, somewhat coincident with the development of the hybrid. Aisin sells things to Ford, that might have been designed by Ford. I don't see that as Toyota selling things to Ford.

I don't think that this CVT mentioned would have nothing to do with any current Ford product, the brief usage recently discontinued in the Fusion/500 notwithstanding. That is not remotely similar to the eCVT used in the hybrid.

On the other hand, whatever technology was acquired in the Ford acquisition of Volvo needs definition as to whether it is now "Volvo" technology, used by Ford, or Ford technology. If it was shelved by Volvo, and developed by Ford with or without input from Volvo-Ford employees... if it was originally DAF, then acquired-acquired, I don't know whose I would consider it to be.

I think you and I have had this conversation before.

Reply to
dold

Toyota has been the majority owner of Aisin-Warner for more than 40 years. For whatever reason they don't make this clear, but its as much a part of Toyota as the numerous other companies that Toyota controls. A-W also sells automatics to Ford for use in the 6 cylinder Fusions. If you go to their web site they proudly tell you they supply transmissions to Ford and GM. They never mention supplying transmissions to Toyota - yet they have supplied all (or almost all) the Toyota automatic transmissions for more than 40 years. The Fusion

6 speed automatic and the Camry 6 speed automatic are from the same family. I can't decide if Toyota doesn't want people to know that they own Aisin-Warner, or they want to create the illusion that every part of a Toyota comes from a factory with the Toyota brand on the building. But in fact, in any way that matters, Aisin-Warner is Toyota. Claiming that Ford is buying parts of the hyrid system from Aisin-Warner and not Toyota is just like in the old days claiming they bought alternators from Delco-Remey (and not GM). It is a difference without a distinction. Aisin-Warner is Toyota - of course I have no idea what the actual percentage is becasue of the unbelieveably complicated web of Japanese companies. Toyota owns a large percentage of Aisin-Warner directly. Other percentages are owned by Aisin-Seiko, and Nippon-Denso, but then Toyota owns large chuncks of Aisin-Seiko, and Denso separate from the portion they own of Aisin-Warner. Board meetings must be fun. I assume the Toyota guy comes in and tells them what to do....

I am only talking about patents, not actual components.

When Ford acquired Volvo I am sure there was a clear definition of which patents (technology) they aquired. No matter who originally developed it, it is Ford technology now until/unless they sell it off. I suppose for some chest thumping types, it might be important who originally developed a patent, but I doubt Ford cares.

Could be.

Reply to
C. E. White