Re: Open air cleaner ??

Has anyone checked out or tested difference in engine performance and

> mileage when changing from stock to open design air cleaners? I have a 64 > Galaxie with 390, and seems to me that the big 4 BBL breathing through that > snorkle just won't work well. Then I figure that engineers should know what > they are doing, but that was way back when. Anyway, would like to do a bit > of research before trying a new unit that may only increase growl from > secondaries (which is a good thing :)

A measurable difference on a dyno perhaps.

Reply to
Fred Brown

Just remove the air cleaner and take it out for a spin. My '68 Galaxie with

302 has a little more guts without the air cleaner (snorkle type). I was surprised when after some tuning I got it to spin the tires fairly easily but when I put the air cleaner back on it will only do it when turning. So it does make a difference... Though if my car wasn't right on the verge of being able to spin the wheels I may not have even noticed it.

If you don't care about originality you'd probably do better with one of those open 14" filters, preferably as tall as possible whgile still being able to close the hood, as it's that 90* turn that slows the air down. Depending on how much you want to spend, I believe K&N has a filter in which the top is a filter element too. A normal open element cleaner would look better though, in my opinion. I remember reading a review of different types of air cleaners somewhere, they tested flow and filtration abilities. Try a search on google and you may come up with something.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle