Re: Worth it to put a new engine in a Ford Escort 95 wagon?

I'd put a used engine in it. it is a used car, the current engine until is got to drinking water, was a used engine that ran fine?

Used engines ar MUCH cheaper than new/rebuilt. well cared for (change oil, do not take swimming) should last 200k

chris

( >Just over 100,000 miles. New timing belt at 93,000 (had been replaced

preventatively prior at 53,000). New breaks at 102,000. New electric >whixbangy thing that tells the cooling fan when to turn on (it failed >and made the car come near overheating). > >Paid $6,000 for it in may 2000. Rebuilt the Tranny last may. > >Blue book value in "low" condition is $1750. > >It's got a bent rod ... mechanic says water got in the air intake >(driving through a puddle? I don't recall though we get a $&*(#) load >of rain here in South Florida)) and the air filter was SOAKED. > >Thoughts?

Crispy

Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid.

Reply to
Chris P

I also got some water in my intake (I think) and threw a rod. Well I threw the rod (or 2 ) about a month later so I don't really know for sure if the two are related.

A Jasper rebuilt engine cost me ~$3950 installed. It's as good as new, maybe better. Doesn't leak or burn oil or anything else bad. I did the fast pass on the Maryland emissions even. Yes, I plan on keeping the car long enough to justify the expense, espically sine the automakers have almost abandoned the whole 2Dr Hatchback concept that I have to have. There are cheaper options out there (look on eBay) but you are taking your chances with having an engine that burns oil, or does other bad things, etc. Most of the Escorts in the junkyard have 120,000 - 150,000 but you might get lucky and find one with a lot less if you look around. I know $4000 sounds like a lot but how long do you have to keep the car to avoid new car payments, etc...

Reply to
Childfree Scott

great ... now I find this:

specifically what was wrong from this list before I lost the engine (if you care ;)):

Transmission: Delayed engagement on shifts out of Park, 1995-97 Escort, Tracer with 4EAT (97-15-11)

Transmission: Harsh or soft 1-2, 2-3 shift, 1992-95 with 4EAT (94-23-12)

~BJ

Reply to
beta_jester