Rear Seat removal

Does anyone know how to remove the rear seat in a 2004 F150 crew cab? Need to access the rear slider motor to change the rear window and can't figure out how?

-- Cecil Hayden

Reply to
Detailing Dude

On the outside of the left and right hinge for the seat there is a tab you have to push in to unlock itself.

first time it took me about 1.5 hrs

GOOD LUCK

and you don't have to access the motor to take the window out. what exactly are you trying to do ???

Reply to
johanb

The rear window is a power slider and We busted with a four wheeler. The new window comes complete with the cable for the slider that has to be attached at the motor. Where exactly is this tab? Is there an illustration you can provide?

Thanks Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude

Called FORD service. They said the seat back is bolted down through the floor. You must first remove the seat bottoms to gain access to the bolts, then remove the very large and very tight bolts through the floor to remove the seat backs. All this to access the window motor. FORD's better idea at work!

Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude

There is something, somewhere on every single vehicle made that's a PITA to get to or work on. That doesn't make all vehicle manufacturers idiots; most of it is for safety's sake.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Or.. let's face it.. it's an afterthought.

Like a motorized, slding rear window

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You are talking about the '04 F150, not the F150 Heritage ?! There's a difference

Why don't you just replace the glass ??? To get the glass out/in ,you have to remove/pull the plastic "tracks" in the slider, push the glass up and remove it.

Unless more is damaged....

You DON'T have to take the seat bottoms out to remove the seat back !!!!!!!!!! The seat backs are hold in place by the tabs I mentioned earlier.

Reply to
johanb

Yes NOT the Heritage. The entire rear window is smashed, all three pieces. The new windows comes as a unit, glass, frame, track and the problem here, the cable to the motor. I've looked all around the rear seat back (not bottom) and can find no tabs of any sort.

It's on its way to an auto apolstery shop now to have the seat removed, then the glass company is going there to replace the window. The seat shop will remove and reinstall the seat.

Tom... How is a safety issue to bolt the seat back though the floor with huge bolts that an average Joe can't remove? Especially when it has to come out to get the window replaced. It would have been better to locate the motor under the seat where access is available.

And Backyard Mechanic...When the rear window is that far away, it should be motorized. Especially at the price of these trucks.

Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude

Not being an automotive engineer, I can only give an uneducated guess, and that would be that in the case of a collision, a bolted-in seat is a lot less likely to snap your neck from behind than one held in with spring clips. Why such large bolts are used is beyond me, unless they are also used as body bolts.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom