Removing Control Module

I have a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis & I'm trying to remove the control module. Problem is, good GOD is it freaking hard to do.

The 1st screw, on the top right, is easy enough--although quite annoyingly I had to buy a special $5 device because a typical 7/32" (the size it is) is too shallow to reach in because it's so deeply recessed.

The main problem, though, is the bottom-left screw; the space between that screwhole and an interfering device from the engine is barely the thickness of a straw. I can't imagine what kind of tool could remove a screw in those tight of quarters.

My question is--what kind of tool could POSSIBLY remove this? Also--some have suggested moving the bolt that controls the distributor cap but then that could mess up the timing--which would be ANOTHER repair to contend with. But yet another told me--a repairmen at the Ford dealer no less--said timing isn't an issue with a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Tips?

LRH

Reply to
Larry R Harrison Jr

Yeah, thanks I did that--but it was MUCH harder than I thought. Getting to the bolt that loosened the distributor cap was EXTREMELY hard--not as hard as it would've been getting to that lower-left screw, but it was hard--heck, the guy at the hardware store selling me parts did it for me he got so tired of hearing me cuss & scream at the car trying to move that danged nut.

Why in the WORLD do they put those nuts/bolts etc in the hardest-to-reach places? I know there's a lot there under the hood, but still--dang.

Reply to
Larry R Harrison Jr

It's all about having the right tools, with a 1/2 inch swivel socket or a dist wrench it's a pretty easy job. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I've made some special tools. I cut the end off a 12mm open wrench, and ground off most of the sides, so I could take a manifold off a some V6 without removing the carburetor. I also heated a 12mm wrench with a torch and bent it into an S to get at a Datsun carburetor.

My dad had a whole tool box of "special" tools that he might have only used once or twice.

Reply to
dold