Replacing VSS in 99 Taurus

Any ideas how much of a pain this would be? I do have access to a lift if needed, but if I can get to it without going there, would be a better thing.

Anyone gotten to it from the top before? Daughter's car shifts strange and it's got the SES light and I am certain she is getting the code for VSS, since I have cleared that code a few times. I did wiggle the wires before and it got her by, but I am sure it's gonna have to be replaced.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Stu

Reply to
Stu

AX4S or AX4N Transmission?

3.0 OHV or 3.0 DOHC or 3.4

engine?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

It's a 3.0 OHV

Seems like it's an AX4S. Service manual says to take the dual converter Y pipe out. Have you tried it without doing that? I did replace a steering gear in this car without removing the Y pipe, so I thought I would ask if anyone else has done that.

Thanks,

Stu

Reply to
Stu

I see that Y pipe instruction.

Other than that, it seems quite straight forward, I suppose you could try to sneak it out w/o disturbing the exhaust system. My VSS is acting up a little now at 187,000 mi., I may have to try this myself.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1