93 Taurus VSS?

Ok, where is it, and how hard is it to replace?

Now, I'm assuming and really hoping that this is the solution to my problem, but after reading about it controlling the speedometer... I'm not sure. It's only about $20, so it's an inexpensive way to see if that's why my car is trying to change gears un-necessarily. (Kinda really feels like the car is missing) Can anyone give me an idea as to what the symptoms are when this is going bad?

The car is a 1993 Taurus with a new 3.8 liter engine, and the original transmission. (65K miles)

-- Visit Charles at the new:

Charles Summers

Charles Summers opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

For questions like these, (if you dont want to wait for a reply) go to google | groups do an advanced search in this group:

TSS replace taurus

It doesnt control the speedo in Taurus until the 96 model. How did you cometo that conclusion? In the TBird, it does.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

it isn't the VSS

Reply to
Im Right

I did a search through Outlook Express, but I'll try Google.

What's TSS?

Reply to
Charles B. Summers

My VSS went bad and it made my transmission shift at stranges times. Thew can be bought for less than 20 bucks at a Ford dealer. No after market companys makes them for some reson. It's in the rear end (diferinchel) on top on mine car. And diferenchil is spelled wrong I bet:)

Reply to
Indianaradio

Ok, searching through Goooooogle leads me to believe that it isn't the VSS. I searched for the TSS (Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor) and came up with only 4 postings, with no help.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Charles B. Summers

On a mechanical dash first gen taurus, the mechanical speedo cable comes out of the VSS on the way to the mechanical dash cluster. It was my understanding the electronic dash vehicles used the VSS. On the electronic dash units, there is no long speedo cable, just a stub that comes out of the VSS and deadheads.

VSS can cause erratic shifting. Mine downshifted while on the interstate (I was not passing) intermittently. VSS fixed the problem. Keep in mind it could be the VSS cabling too. If your trannie or motor was changed, careless reinstallation can cause problems with the wiring or plug.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

I also am having a strange shifting problem. in my 1993 taurus I ran a code check, it came up with "insuficent signal from speed sensor" This thing with mine is that this only happens on my way Home from work, after the car has warmed up a little from my luch trip. it sits for about 3 hours before i get back into it again. it seems to only happen as i go down a very slight decline, it has problems downshifting. after the car warms up though it goes away. not sure if this is the vss sensor going bad or what.

Reply to
Techie

Techie opined in news:5ks0b.14688$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net:

Well the PCM obviously THINKS it's a VSS problem.

Could be bad (corroded) connection, though.... Find the VSS, carefully disconnect connectors, clean them and apply liberal dielectric (tune-up) grease to pins and sockets.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic