Running lights

I'd like to put some kind of running lights on my '05 Escape. I'm thinking either something that will attach to the grill, or a way to keep the fog lights on whenever the car is running. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
Sheldon

Just curious: Why?

Reply to
dr_jeff

Get a drl relay kit like needs to be installed on the vehicle to import it to Canada. As for the why? - safety.

I KNOW I'll get a whole lot of flack from [particularly American) drivers saying there is no safety advantage. You are welcome to your American ideas. Here in Canada it is LAW - and I, and many other drivers, find it is MUCH easier to see oncoming traffic under many conditions where headlights would not be required to be on by law.

Reply to
clare

Well, I'm an American driver, and I definitely notice cars with their lights on more than cars with their light off. Take a look at the running lights on the new Audi's. Definitely noticeable during the day, especially as it starts to get dark. The problem with the Escape is that the lights do not turn off when you turn off the key, although they do turn off after about 15 minutes. They also don't turn on unless you turn them on. I just think a couple of LED running lights in the grill would be a good idea.

I'll check on that relay. Meanwhile, the US is so far behind the Europeans when it comes to anything on your car it's not funny. Halogen lights were illegal in the US. Disc brakes were not available until the '70's. It seems to take years for the DOT to catch up to the rest of the world.

I'm sure no running lights are to save a buck, but you'll notice every European luxury car has them.

Reply to
Sheldon

Nope, they were available on several models beginning in 1949 and intermittently from that point on. See the wiki for exact models, but I note that front disk brakes became standard equipment in 1965 on the Rambler Marlin.

Derek Gee

And the ford T-bird.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

From what I've read, DRL's have their own safety issues.

When I go on trips, I always leave my lights on. My car has circuitry, now under about a foot of snow, that shuts off the lights after a period of time - I think it senses too much power drain, in case I forget to turn the lights off (no, they're not automatic lights like on some vehicles).

Reply to
dr_jeff

I remember in 1988 that Buick was advertising the first American car with four-wheel disks and independent 4-wheel suspension. Peugeot had it in my old 1974 Peugeot 504. So much for first American car.

Reply to
dr_jeff

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:23:27 -0700, "Sheldon" wrote Re Running lights:

Maybe something here would work:

Caesar Romano

Sheldon,

Escapes sold in Canda have daytime running lights. I am sure if you look at the wirign diagram for the Escape you can figure out how Ford implemented them and then buy the appropriate relay and do it your self. In fact a quick search of the internet turned up the following Ford accessry:

DRL part # F6RZ13B218AA $66.95 for 2001 - 2005 model escapes

I dislike DRLs. I've heard all the arguements for them. Turning your headlight on under low light conditions is a fine idea. Riding around on a sunny day with your headlights on is silly. When only a few idiots are riding around irritating everyone with extra unecessary glare, they really stand out. But when a million idiots do it, it is just annoying. Maybe it is a good idea in Canada, fine for them, but where I live it is just annoying. Not every Candanian idea is worth copying.....

One thing I think dislike more than DRLs are jerks who ride around with their "fog" light on all the time.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Corvette's had four wheel disc brakes starting in 1965. My parent's 1969 Ford Station Wagon had very good front disc brakes (I think they were implemented the year before, but I am not sure). Drum brakes actually have some advanages, particualrly when used on the rear axle only - they can be made self-energizing, they make better parking brakes, they are less prone to warping. For almost all drivers, front disc / rear drum brakes are an excellent compromise - especially for front wheel drive cars where the rear brakes do only a small percentage of the actual braking.

I am amused when people talk about how advanced Eurpoeans cars are compared to US cars. This is mostly a myth. The cars are different becasue the driving conditions, laws, and cultures are different. When you live in a country where you can drive 120 mph, you need cars that can safetly go 120 mph. When you live in a country where cars are mostly owned by the rich, and the rest all ride public transportation, then the cars tend to be more upscale. In the US even the poor need cars. Once you offer cheap cars, you soon find that even the people that can afford more expensive cars often choose the cheap models. In Europe there are very few 10 year old used cars. Goverment rules and inspection requiremetns pretty much gaurantee that old cars are not allowed. In the US, the average life of a car is something like

14 years. New car manufactuers have to sell into a market full of good used cars. To compete they have to keep costs lower. There is nothing sader than some US fool who buys a 10 year old BMW. They are nothing but a money pit.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

This may have been true in the past, but for most modern cars implementing some sort of DRLs is trivial. It is jsut a really bad idea.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Try this company. I have bought from them for my Mustang GT, and for my Harley. Easy install, & works great..

75yrs.experience

First, sorry about my lack of knowledge on disc brakes. I just remember getting a new car in '67 that had disc brakes, and the guys at the dealership had never seen disc brakes before. Front disc brakes were an "option."

I like the kit that uses the turn signals as running lights. Seems to solve the complaints here, that running lights are a nuisance. By using the turn signals you get a subtle amber running light. Cool idea. Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Sheldon

Do you know if this part is a simple plugin installation, or if it has to be wired in?

Reply to
Sheldon