Smoother Ride

I would like to get a good smooth ride from my 1996 explorer. I know the tires need to be changed. The dealer gave me truck tires when the firestone problem was around but what about shocks?

Reply to
Dave R

I use the Michelin X Terrain -- massively smoother than the Dunlop Radial Rovers it had when I bought it used. I am tempted to put on Monroe Reflex shocks for their smoothness, at the advice of people in these newsgroups.

------------------------------------------------------------ reply address bot resistant and human safe

SmartyPants

So you think if I get rid of the truck tires and go to Monroe Reflex shocks that might help?

Reply to
Dave R

that might help?

I can't vouch for the shocks, but I can for the tires. Big difference on my

94 Exploder Limited.

------------------------------------------------------------ reply address bot resistant and human safe

SmartyPants

Reply to
Dave R

Michelin lt4's.

I have no expeience with the LT4s. I have the Cross Terrains. I believe Sears has an equivalent renamed model.

------------------------------------------------------------ reply address bot resistant and human safe

SmartyPants

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:26:53 -0400, "Dave R" posted:

Shocks (dampers) should make little difference to ride. (So long as they are working.) Springs and tyres and tyre pressure make the most difference. Try driving a vehicle without shocks. Shocks inprove ride. Remember the big old "Yank Tanks" that you pushed down on the bonnet (hood) and you could get seasick for five minutes.

Reply to
Dunne E. Dawe

I got my truck back today and drove it about 10 miles down a old bumpy road. I don't want to hurry with my conclusion but the bumps didn't hurt my back. I'm pretty excited and ready for my vacation from coast to coast. The truck so far handles like it was new.

Reply to
Dave R