'93 Pickup - Can I improve the ride?

Hi, I have a 93 Ext cab Pickup 2wd, v6 with 80k. I would like to improve the ride. I drive it every day and I know it has many years left. After

12 years, I have less control and I feel the bumps alot more than the old days. I bought it new and only put about 6 or 7k on it a year. It has original shocks. Firestone Bt70s tires (5k) P20575/R14. I would like to spend some money on it rather than get something new. It used to have a very passenger car feel for a truck. It has a long wheel base for a small truck.

What should I do first? New shocks? What kind? Different tires? Are bigger wheels an option? Would that help? I don't want to Pimp-my-ride. Just improve it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--Ken

Reply to
Ken

Hi, I have a 93 Ext cab Pickup 2wd, v6 with 80k. I would like to improve the ride. I drive it every day and I know it has many years left. After

12 years, I have less control and I feel the bumps alot more than the old days. I bought it new and only put about 6 or 7k on it a year. It has original shocks. Firestone Bt70s tires (5k) P20575/R14. I would like to spend some money on it rather than get something new. It used to have a very passenger car feel for a truck. It has a long wheel base for a small truck.

What should I do first? New shocks? What kind? Different tires? Are bigger wheels an option? Would that help? I don't want to Pimp-my-ride. Just improve it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--Ken

Reply to
Ken

First, get the first end aligned. That will help with the hunting. Then check the tire pressure. The correct pressure is on the door. Your shocks are shot, put on a nice set of KYBs all around. They are not the cheapest shock on the market, but they do a great job on both off and on road.

Bigger wheels don't tend to help on road confort. More spinning weight will make your ride worse and lower the MPG. You may find a better tire for smoothness, but I don't know any web sites that rate them on that. Most just talk about how much mud a tire can plow through.

Reply to
Eddie

Thanks for the info. Eddie. This truck is two wheel drive. All street. I found the KYB Monomax shock (4=$200) is recommended. Do you think my ride will get too stiff.

My neighbor recommended Bilstein but their site did not have as much information.

Reply to
Ken

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

Not sure on the Monomax, I have the Gas-a-Just. I don't think the ride is too stiff on the street, I think it's perfect for me. But I have the 4x4 so I don't know how they will do in your 2x4.

Reply to
Eddie

Try pop down to the toyota dealer and replace all the front end bushes and rubbers with standard toyota stuff if a nice rides your goal. Replace front shockies with standard issue items and also a wheel alignment. When the trucks getting the wheel alignment done ask them if they think that the tyres are any good. (Should replace tyres every 7 years regardless of how worn they are due to ruber perishes with age and temperature cycles)

Once all done your truck should feel like new again. The reason I say go to toyota for standard parts is that they designed teh truck with those units so they are proven to work. Go figure.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Scotty