Speed sensor problem-3.8 L

I have a low-miles 94 Sable 3.8 L. I only get a road speed after warm up. When cold, electronic speedometer and transmission don't get speed reading, causing transmission to go bonkers, problems disappear after 15 min. Already spent $200 replacing sensor and connector. Tried swapping ECM. Measured sensor resistance, 197 ohms hot, 213 cold. Is it possible sensor isn't spinning? I can't reach in there and feel it to find out. Any ideas?

Reply to
tagroover

I thought someone might have a better idea than myself on this one... but since I have nothing definitive, why not try leaving a drop-lite with a 40 to 60 watt bulb in the cabin, overnight, so that the heat from it rises to under the dash... be careful you isolate it so nothing melts.

Then if the symptom doesnt show, or resolves quicker, that might be a clue

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yes it is possible, the VSS drive gear is (believe it or not) made out of plastic. I've seen several of them worn to the point where the VSS would stop turning. The worst part is that it requires trans removal and complete disassembly to replace that $2 gear. That may not be your problem but... you asked if it was possible. If that is what's going on with your trans a new VSS gear might buy you some time. For what it's worth the cars I've seen with this problem were all high mileage. Good luck Bob

Reply to
Bob