Starter question

I took my starter to an Auto store to have it tested and they said it was fried. I was wondering if a bad starter or bad connection inside the starter could cause the car to just shut down when it was running. I know if it goes bad it will just click or just not turn over the engine but could it cause the car to quit while it was running? I am going to get a starter but was hoping someone could tell me if that may solve the problem.

Thanks

Reply to
RedWingFan

A car just dying while running would never be caused by a defective starter motor. The make & year sure would be helpful here; assuming it's a Ford product, an older one could have a bad TFI module on the distributor, or the IAC valve is gummed-up. Newer years have newer problems, so state the make & year.

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

You might think that, but it is not necessarily true. A short in the starter solenoid can casue a car to stop running mysteriously. A freind had a '95 F150 that would just stop for no apparent reason. Dealership repalced almost everything. Finally a local guy who worked at the Ford truck plant in Norfolk suggested replacing the starter, problem solved. Apparently there was some sort of short in the starter that was casuing the voltage to spike low, killing the vehicle.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White