STILL STUMPED: 91' F150 .302

This stupid truck of mine still doesn't want to run.

I have tested fuel pump, tests perfectly and rock solid.

IAC appears to function normally and be in order.

The truck idles perfectly, engages into gear with no trouble, but when you step on the gas - motor cuts out completely.

I am befuddled. Oil is clean and dry. Coolant is clean and clear. Everything appears to be in order.

Any thoughts? Is there a MAF on this thing? I don't believe there is, but you never know.

Any thoughts or advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, BigBob

Reply to
Big Bob

How do you know this? Did you check it with a gauge?

What do you mean by "cuts out"? Does is stall or just lack power so bad it won't pull itself?

No, you've got a MAP sensor and I doubt it's causing your problem.

Check the basics, get a spark tester and make sure you've got good spark at the plug, see if the computer has stored any codes, check fuel pressure with a gauge if you haven't already. Bob

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" wrote in news:pDdhe.11067$ snipped-for-privacy@fe02.lga:

Absolutely. Dang thing cost me $56. It measures at a rock solid 37 psi constantly without even the slightest hint of anything awry.

There is not much in the way of stalling. I will give an example. Last night I started the truck. Idled fine in the driveway. I depressed the brake, and shifted the truck into drive. Nothing happened, the truck slipped into gear. I let off the brake, the truck did not move (should have given an inch at least) and when I depressed the gas pedal, the engine stopped. It did not chug or anything -just halts. This is consistent.

One other thing to note, once the motor stalls like that, it will not crank again for at least 4 hours. Then it will start up with no problem, however, I still have the symptoms described above.

I will check spark, however, seems unlikely to me seeing as the motor idles with no miss or hiccups.

That brings up another question. I would normally take this thing to Autozone and have 'em scan the codes, but I can't get the truck there. Is there a way to read the codes myself without buying a crazy expensive tool to do so?

Thanks for the advice Bob. I greatly appreciate it.

BigBob

Reply to
Big Bob

Reply to
tom

Even at idle it should creep forward or back, looks to me like you've got a couple of problems.

It's not the most likely problem but don't rule it out until you've checked it.

Ground the STI connector and count the flashes. Search the net if you don't know what I'm talking about. It's been posted may times. Bob

Reply to
Bob