Strong gas smell in Taurus

Sometimes I get a strong gasoline smell in my 99 Taurus wagon. After openeing the windows a while the smell goes away. It happened today with a nearly full gas tank. I also get error codes from OBDII such as P0402 P0401 or P0171. These are supposed to represent EGR flow insufficient or excessive and fuel mixtute too lean, bank2. Any words of wisdom on this? I have also looked under the hood for any fuel leaks and haven't spotted any yet.

Reply to
AHoudini

Cory & Rhonda

Just in case you wondered why no one responded

AHoudini opined in news:41b505a3$0$19789$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ticon.net:

"Sometimes"

could you be MORE vague?!!!!... or are we to assume from that it's just a random occurrence, no difference parked or running, garage or open parked, highway or traffic stop and go

"After openeing the windows a while the smell goes away."

So does a fart smell

"It happened today with a nearly full gas tank."

So... does that mean it DOESNT happen with a nearly empty tank?

So far the OTHER BEST clue is "wagon"

Think about it and come back with something we can use

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I have only noticed the strong gasoline smell twice. It happened both times while driving in the city.

Reply to
AHoudini

So what is a DPFE sensor? Looking at Haynes, I see there is an evaporative emissions system including a canister under the tank, fuel pressure monitor and a canister purge valve under the hood. Seems to me like this sytem would be a suspect regarging the fuel smell?

Reply to
AHoudini

So stay away from the citys ............

Reply to
johanb

*I* used to get that strong gas smell in my 96 Taurus too...turns out it was the Korean BBQ lunch causing it.
Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

AHoudini opined in news:41b505a3$0$19789$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ticon.net:

well....

***** seriously, if this has happened TWICE in city traffic, consider the possibility that you were getting fumes from ANOTHER vehicle.

How many times have you been behind other cars and had the cabin fill with rotten eggg smell (sulfur dixide)? and realized it was that old Chevy in front of you?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

There are a few mental cases in every newsgroup.

Reply to
AHoudini

Thats not a mental case, thats good humor.

Reply to
Scott M

I was looking for useful information rather than a fart joke.

Reply to
AHoudini

Oh jeez Houdini..lighten up! it was a joke. I DON'T have the answer to YOUR gas smell problem OK. If I did I would surely share it with you. I'm far from a "mental case".

Like others told you, the fumes can be sucked in from other vehicles, check for a leak around the filler tube (had a ford van that did that a lot). There ya go!...straight answer...no jokes..no humor,just the facts ma'am.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik