thermostats

Is it true if you have heat in the inside of your car, your thermostat is working?

I have a 98 ford escort, and an 86 ford escort (diesel) and I'm in Alaska, so It's just started to warm up, and if I drive with the heat off they are both overheating. Also if the inside heat was off during the winter time they would overheat as well.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Mike

Reply to
mike

What do you mean both overheating?

Have your radiator or cooling fan checked.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

mike opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Heat in the cabin only means you have some coolant and that the Thermostat isnt stuck open.. the heater takeoff is on the engine side of the thermostat.

I'm not a REAL cold weather denizen, but there's a good possibility that one or both are stuck shut if the cars both overheated in subzero weather and heater off

usual, still well within normal range

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (mike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

What do you mean "overheating?" Overheating is water temps in excess of 230 (i.e. hot light is on.)

Reply to
donutbandit

No, it isn't true. The coolant can get through the heater core at all times, but the radiator is thermostatically controlled.

Check here:

for a diagram that kind of shows this.

Reply to
Bill 2

Reply to
C. Vaughan

I've had a thermostat actually come apart inside the housing. I'm sure it was trying to work, but the crimp had failed and there was nothing for the active part to push itself against, causing the plate to stay closed 100% of the time. I had plenty of heat, and the water was boiling inside the block. You could hear and feel the big bubbles doing their thing. Thermostat was replaced after making sure all of the old unit was accounted for. Thankfully, no damage was done.

Reply to
Jinxter

Engine still produces heat while running, thermostat still tries to function. Could be either.

What are the ambient temps up there in AK?

Reply to
Jinxter

Well

the 98 ford escort had a hose disconnected-fixed now

the 86 ford escort- fan doesn't go on.

Looks like the thermostats are fine!

Reply to
mike