Tires not holding air?

I have bought Humho and they have performed very well. Probably better than some American brands. I had no complaints at all.

Reply to
hls

Maybe you have a practical joker?

Reply to
anniejrs

I'd bet the bead seals are leaking. You probably cooked off the factory sealer with your banzai road trip keeping the tires superheated so long. Have a good tire shop knock down all four, clean them and remount with the correct high-quality goop painted on the beads. I've had the same problem with several sets of cast aluminum wheels over the years. I'll never pay extra for fancy wheels, but since from my position on the food chain I can only buy used, I seldom get a choice.

Reply to
aemeijers

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The Red Chinese produce quality work provided the West (or a free country like South Korea) does their design and QC for them.

I've had Hankooks for the last several years. They have been, and remain, excellent.

Of course, mine have been competently mounted, something you can't say for

95% of tires out there...

Poor mounting technique. So distressingly common. It wasn't the tires, believe me.

If they're being sold under a major brand, they're fine. The point of branding is to assure your clients that the final product is good, regardless of where made.

Tires, and people's rate of satisfaction with them, are 100% tied to competent mounting. But, unfortunately, competent mounting is extremely rare.

Few tires are bad, but most tires are badly mounted. And the tires get blamed.

Reply to
Tegger

i know you don't like people disagreeing with you dude, but i have to take issue on this. tire quality is very much at issue here, and it can't be solved by "mounting".

example: when a tire casing is made, the fibers used have to be of sufficient quality, laid right, and with even tension. same for the tread bands - the circumferential nylon and steel layers. now we come to the rubbers - these are obviously critical. incorrectly formulated, poorly mixed, incorrectly applied and inadequately vulcanized, these, just like all the other individual components, are critical quality concerns. iow, there are many different components and processes that can get screwed up by poor material quality assembled by unskilled labor and inexperience.

but even all those don't hold a candle to the #1 cause of chinese product problems: corner cutting. if a company is outsourcing to china, they're doing so for economic reasons, not technical. and they want to minimize costs. so how does a chinese manufacturer manage to produce something for seemingly the same cost or even /less/ than the open market cost of materials and energy input? cut corners and reduce those input costs that nobody else dare do! because let's face it - are you /really/ going to try to file a lawsuit against a chinese contractor in a chinese court of law? if you're entertaining the idea that you could, you'd better see a psychiatrist for the delusional fantasies you're experiencing.

bottom line: don't buy chinese tires. ever since the usa started to allow chinese tire imports, [and also relax the rules on the tire quality that you can have on a big rig's trailer - because chinese tires couldn't meet quality standards any other way] our freeways have been strewn with outrageous quantities of blown tire debris. it's an absolute scandal. do /you/ want to be hit with 5lb, 10lb or even 30lb chunks of tire casing from these things as they disintegrate? i had one of my door mirrors knocked off by one recently. i'm lucky it didn't come through my windshield or hit my elbow that happened to be in my open window. [big thick chunks of rubber like that don't bounce btw - they're like chunks of flying concrete.]

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:bNadnWgKmPEBNMjTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Who said that? Disagree all you want. There's nothing I can do either way.

It can, and it does. I have abundant personal experience with this, as I've stated and detailed numerous times.

Most tires judged as defective actually suffer from bad mounting technique. Most wheels judged as "bent" are actually within spec, but are declared "bent" by tire monkeys who are stumped as to why they can't make vibrations go away.

There's nothing at all wrong with Chinese product sold under major brand- names.

Reply to
Tegger

Damn straight. It's a rare shop that knows what the red and yellow dots mean. I know that in practice it likely doesn't matter in 90+ percent of installations, but one would think that professional pride would involve "doing it right."

nate

Reply to
N8N

How many shops pay the guy mounting tires more than minimum wage? Do you think you can keep good people and not pay them?

My son just quit a minimum wage job at Jiffy Lube because he felt he was the only one at that store that knew what he was doing and was willing to actually do it - so he was the one they kept busy, while the other minimum wage drones watched.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

then you've been outstandingly lucky and have not had to witness abysmal tire quality with visibly lumpy side walls, visibly lumpy treads, rubber cracking and spalling, etc.

sub-standard materials, unskilled labor and corner cutting affect quality. that's just fact. and you don't manufacture in china so you can save on labor but spend more on materials quality, you do it so you can cut costs all across the board. that's just fact too.

Reply to
jim beam

No, it was NOT poor mounting technique. The tire carcasses were inconsistant, and the tires went out of round within less than

10,000km (6,000 miles) All 4 went bad, one at a time, over a period of several weeks. After putting up with "bad vibrations" for a couple of months - with the dealer attempting to balance the shake out, the tires were removed and replaced with a diffferent brand

Major brand name does NOT guarantee quality assurance - just makes it a BIT easier to get them replaced if they are unsatisfactory.

I'd have to dissagree with you. After MANY years in the business - going back to the faiure of the Firestone 721 and the Uniroyal Zeta

40M tire series - among many others - where mounting had NOTHING to do with the problems experienced. Those kinds of problems STILL happen. Yes - sometimes poor mounting causes tire problems - but I would say it is not the PREDOMINANT cause of tire problems.
Reply to
clare

And I will dissagree with you - from MY experience - on both the tire and the rim. Just because a rim is "within manufacturers tolerance" does NOT mean it is not "bent", and no matter how you mount a "turd" it's still a "turd". Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Reply to
clare

And all the dot orientation does is REDUCE the ammount of weight required to BALANCE the tire. It has NOTHING to do with making the tire round, or keeping the belts from shifting, or the cords from separating, or the tread from cracking, or the sidewalls from "breathing".

I've had radial tire plys stretch and slip, belts shift and separate, treads separate from the carcase, steel belts break and protrude through the rubber, sidewalls split, sidewalls crack, and air come out through the sidewalls in thousands of places on the same tine - with NO impact damage, under-inflation, or other abose.

I've had tires that balanced perfectly when installed require rebalancing after a week of driving - and the inbalance changed again within days - You could balance out the shake at 9 in the morning and it would be shaking again by noon. If not replaced, the tire would fail within weeks. Might get one out of 4 on a car, or 3 out of 4 - and perhaps a couple sets in a months time - and never see another one.

Or a new tire goes flat - before the customer's car leaves the lot. You throw the tire into the tank, and there are millions of tiny air bubbles coming out of the tire - EVERYWHERE - through the sidewalls - not from a poorly seated bead - and occaisionally even through the tread. Sometimes it's a week or two later the tire comes back flat - with the same type of massive generalized leakage.

Or a 2 year old tire has hardened up so badly that the tread is chunking out, or the tire slides like a steel rim on pavement that is anything close to damp, or warm. Can't pull away with a 4 cyl automatic without the tires squeeling. Can't stop without the tires howling - even at moderate speeds under gentle braking.And over 90% of tread left.

That's BAD QUALITY that has NOTHING to do with "mounting technique"

A bad batch of fabric, a bad or poorly mixed batch of rubber, or a tire builder with a hangover - who knows - but these problems DO occur

- and particularly with Chinese and some Eastern European products, the "quality assurance" just is not there. At any stage of the production/ispection of the product.

Reply to
clare

Can't generalize. My son worked at Just Tires for a while before he moved on. Him and a couple others in that shop worked hard. Others were slackers. It's almost always like that if management allows it. You don't know what you're getting until you get it. BTW, Nate, my son says the dots are practically meaningless. He's mounted and balanced many tires using the Hunter Road Force and stopped paying attention to the dots. The Road Force machine results hardly ever matched the dots.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

absolutely. i forgot some of that early eastern euro stuff - i've had a tire literally just fall to pieces of rubber crumb one time. made in the czech republic iirc.

the multiple side wall leaks - that is an absolute corner cut. the tire is supposed to be lined with a layer of butyl rubber [halobutyl to be more precise]. but it's on the inside, and you'll never notice if it's not there, so...

Reply to
jim beam