Toyota to take over GM

While driving along last week I heard this news headline. It got my attention, because I immediately thought Toyota had now been taken over by their own ego. Could Toyota be so stupid to take over GM? They don't need to.

Well a few minutes more details on that news headline said: "Toyota sales will probably take over GM's by mid 2007".

Reply to
Just Facts

It amazes me at how great Toyota is supposed to be but I have had 2 trucks and a sienna that I would not tate higher than a 4. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Reply to
Dad-x-2

I thought I read somewhere that many east Indian families lived in cars, buses, trucks ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What does Tate mean?

Reply to
Johnny Cakes

Tate wasnt used here...Do you perhaps mean Tata? Tata is an east Indian family which is into cars, buses, trucks.

Reply to
<HLS

Reply to
NapalmHeart

" GM, Ford and Chrysler are all losing money and cutting production. GM planned to build 13 percent fewer vehicles in North America during the fourth quarter, Ford forecast a 22 percent cut and Chrysler trimmed second-half output by as much as 17 percent.

Ford said yesterday it is quitting the minivan segment and will end production of its Freestar after sales fell 32 percent through November. Instead, Ford will promote its so-called crossover vehicles, such as the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX.

The automaker also said today that it's offering lease incentives of as low as $208 a month on its 2007 Fusion and Milan sedans and F-150 pickups through Feb. 28. The incentives replace Ford's offers of $1,000 cash bonuses on some models, as well as other rebates and low-interest financing.

GM persuaded 34,000 workers to take buyouts in 2006 and sold a majority of its finance unit after reporting about $13.7 billion in losses over the past eight quarters. Ford, which lost almost $7 billion in last year's first nine months, is buying out 38,000 union employees. "

Reply to
Gosi

So what they are saying is GM is still number one, Ford is still number two and Toyota has finally passed Chrysler to end up in number three, in annual sales in the US, in 2006. At the end of 2005 those in the know were telling us Toyota was poised to take oven the number two spot..

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Uh, Mike, Toyota *IS* number 2 in total light vehicles sold in the US for the month of December '06 according to Ward's. Now we're just waiting for them to pass GM. Your "data" is out of date.

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Duh! I guess you believe the team that scores the highest number of points in the last quarter wins the game? The fact is Ford outsold Toyota in the US by almost a half million vehicles ion 2006. Toyota may well outsell Ford, or even GM in the US some year, but that is only conjecture at this point ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It's called a trend, look it up. The fact remains that Toyota is currently outselling Ford.

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Perhaps in your word that is truism, what color is the sky in your world. When and if they do it for a whole year I will agree with you that Toyota outsells Ford, till then they are still number two in the real world. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
slas

Ford's new CEO has had meetings with Toyota management to 'discuss challenges' in the auto industry. He has publicly attested he is very impressed by Toyota's manufacturing and business methods. No indication of an alliance. Ford is claiming it should be able to provide cars that Americans will want to buy and can return to profitability by 2009. For America's sake, I hope so.

GM hasnt said much newsworthy lately.

Toyota today announced it will build a new plant in the USA. IIRC the plant should be able to produce 200,000 cars per year.

Reply to
<HLS

See my recent post about the rumors of a Holden-based Impala. That would be good news for *me* - not sure about the rest of the American public.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Actually I did see that post, Nate. It could be a really good alternative.

Reply to
<HLS

Well now I suppose we should be proud of the fact that we are selling out to every country in the world.Twenty years from now what will we be building, nothing. We will have nothing to offer the world. We have already moved to number 5 in the world's richest nations. But we sure have plenty of debt. Just my opinion.

Reply to
Shrek