Transmission adjustment on stop

I have Mercury Sable 1995 3.8 liter engine and automatic transaxle. Few months ago I replaced head gaskets and now I fill some changes. When I drive and stop (depress brake) and then start again (release brake) car moves even without touching gas pedal, faster than was. How can I adjust to make it slower.

Thank everybody for your advices. Eugene

Reply to
esorokin38

Sounds like either:

Your compression went up and you actually have some power now, or you may have caught your throttle cable when you changed the headgaskets, and it may be pulling the throttle partly open. To check this, what's your idle speed? (checked at the tachometer, )

There's really nothing you can do at the transaxle to adjust how fast the car takes off.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Thanks LMB. Idle RPM reading on the gauge is about 730. what happen if I turn screw, adjustind throttle position.

Reply to
esorokin38

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1126588546.090790.37910 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

dont do that! The computer controls engine speed.

730 rpm is about right
Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

ok, that sounds about right, don't adjust it!

Well, it's not the cable being caught.... Have you checked the car for any codes?

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Hi LMB. I have checked for codes and no any. The reason I worry is fuel consumption. It was 21-23 m/g in city and now 18-20.Any idea to fix this problem

Reply to
esorokin38

What's the status of the plugs, wires? Does this vehicle have a DIS pack or distributor? If it has a distributor, change the cap, rotor, and plugs and wire, plus, change the air filter,

Basically, give it a tune up and let us know what's up..... because most trans problems won't create your symptoms,

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

LMB, Appreciate your advices. My Mercury has distributer. Resently I changed airfilter and took off plugs and they are identical and look OK. I also bought a device to check ignition ( needle with resistor to the ground). Idle RPM become slower when each wire was grounded. At dark time I started engine and have not seen any sparks. In this case should I replace cap, rotor and wires? Thank you.

Reply to
esorokin38

I would. It'll probably cost like $20 bucks or a little more for the stuff, but it'll probably help some w/gas mileage.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

You said it seems to idle too fast because it takes off by its-self? If thats what you mean check for vacuum leaks and clean the IAC and throttle bore.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman