Vss or Speedometer problem

I checked some other previous postings, but couldn't figure out yet.

Sable 93. The Speedometer was intermittently working, but in the past few months it completely stopped. (Now it always shows zero mph. When it worked, it was correct). The speedometer is analog, needle type. Together with speedometer, cruise control stopped working too.

I guess I located the cable coming from the firewall. That cable goes thru a round metal block (see picture, I guess it is called the "gear":)

from the gear it connects to the transmission body with a plasticenclosure, I guess the Vss (speed sensor):
cable from the vss goes to the gear, other goes to wiring harness.The one going to wiring harness is obviously an electrical connector.Is the other cable mechanical or electrical? (Before I need to take itapart, I need to gather some info. It is in an awful place to workon). How do I troubleshoot this thing?Thanks in advance

Reply to
Laguna

Follow the cable into the dash....It looks like a cable. If that one goes the the center of the speedo it is it. Check the gear on the end by pulling the thing out of the trans...See that one bolt going through that bracket? Thats how to pull it. Chances are the gear in there is stripped. You could also pull the cable from the back of the speedo, raise the front end and run it in gear. Check the see if the cable in spinning. GL

Reply to
Scott M