Speedometer problem, Peugeot 205

I have a Peugeot 205 1.4 Forever from 1994. Runs like a dream!

But the speedometer has stopped working at all. I tried to remove the speedometer cable today, and it seems to me like it's working fine (when I rotate one end, the other end rotates accordingly).

But when I attach the cable to the transmission again, nothing happens - the other end (cabin end! ) doesn't move at all...

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Hans Henrik

Reply to
Hans Henrik Appel

The little gear that operates this is usually made of plastic / nylon. It's probably worn to f*ck. Can't, however, comment on how easy a job it would be to replace.

Did the speedo just stop all together, or has the speedo been gradually failing with the usual signs like bouncing needle, inaccurate speed?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Not being funny, I take it you are checking this with the car in gear inside the cabin? If the cable isn't moving but unbroken it is either the speedo itself (unlikely) or the drive from the gearbox. It shouldn't be too hard to replace the drive from the 'box. Unless the French have decided to do something weird where the box needs to be dismantled. Wouldn't be like the French at all!

Reply to
gazzafield

gazzafield wrote: > Not being funny, I take it you are checking this with the car in gear

I took off the entire instrument panel, so from the cabin I'm just looking directly at the end of the speedo cable.

The speedometer itself seems to be working fine (can operate it by moving a screwdriver back and forth).

I drove the car in the parking area where I live, looking to see if the cable end moved at all - but nothing happened.

I'll try and see if I can get my fingers on a new drive for the box to see if that helps...

Thanks.

Reply to
Hans Henrik Appel

It stopped more or less instantly. My wife went of to work one morning, and says it worked 'sometimes' when she started out and then stopped working all together. So I guess it went from working fine to not working at all within a few kilometres...

Reply to
Hans Henrik Appel

Luckily my local Peugeot dealer had the "speedometer housing" as the drive is called, in stock! I got it from them two hours ago, and everything is working perfectly again!

Thanks Sandy and Gazzafield for the help! :-)

Hans Henrik Appel

Hans Henrik Appel