Water pumps

Terry Kangas wrote:

You can do it, but it's more than just installing the right water pump. Ford changed the external parts of the 302\5.0 quite a bit between pre 1978 to 1979 and later. Let's see if my memory is any good. The long block essentially is the same. Assuming the "new" motor is NOT an HO you need to use the "old" style: Timing cover, water pump, harmonic balancer(??), pulleys, accessories, and brackets. If you are staying with a carb, the intake will obviously be different as will the oil pan and pickup tube. You will need to use the old pieces. Use your old exhaust manifolds. There are air injection ports (smog pump) at the rear of each head that will have to be plugged. They are usually tapped and can easily be capped off with pipe plugs. The spark plugs will be a different size and thread pitch. You'll need to do some cross referencing to find the correct plugs. (small plugs with a narrow gap for the point type ignition, in the correct heat range). I don't think you can do this with an HO motor but I don't recall why and could be wrong. The firing order is different but IIRC there are other mechanical differences. Maybe someone with more knowledge or a better memory will chime in on this. Of course, part of what makes an HO an HO is the fuel injection. If you are going to use the fuel injection, regardless of which engine you have, I would stay with the newer accessory train. (FI is a great mod for an older car. It takes a bit of work though). In short, strip your "new" motor down to the long block (block, heads, and reciprocating assembly). Install all of the missing parts from your old motor.

As for deleting the power steering, the only advantage on a driver is fewer parts in the steering system. Again with the memory thing, I think the 68 had "linkage" type power steering. There is an external hydraulic ram and a control valve on the center link, as opposed to a recirculating ball steering box. There are lots of places to leak and parts are (used to be?) pricey. On a race car, it would be less load on the engine and less weight. If you are going to drive the car for pleasure I would suggest keeping the power steering if you can. Have you ever driven a car without it? Many folks today haven't. Down the road is ok, but parking lots can be a bit of a challenge. There's a reason that power steering became standard equipment ;) Good luck with your swap. That Ranchero is a way cool ride, I've always wanted one. There is a fellow who posts updates here about restoring a 1966 Ranchero XL. Drool...

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Hey lugnut, The biggest reason to use the "old " accessory system is that his existing timing cover has different mount points for the accessories and his 1988 (EFI) timing cover doesn't have a hole for the fuel pump to mount to. He'd have to find a 1979 or later timing cover from a carbureted vehicle, pretty tough these days (late 80s VV equipped cop car? IIRC those were the last) Other than that, I agree that the newer PS pump, alternator, and serpentine belt system is way preferable.

Terry, if you swap the timing covers, make sure the camshaft on the 88 motor has the fuel pump eccentric bolted to it. It looks like a metal cup bolted to the front of the camshaft timing gear, look at your old motor. Many EFI motors (all that I've ever seen) still had it bolted on there, but Ford may have deleted it at some point. Better safe than sorry.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

to be a daily driver, I would use as musch of the more modern stuff including the EFI system as possible. A bit more work perhaps but very rewarding results....

Absolutely.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

The old accessories won't bolt up to the new style timing cover. There are other differences also. Its been quite some time since I've actually swapped a 1979+

5.0 into an older car so I'm vague on the details. The one thing I know for certain is that if you use the old accessories, you have to use the old timing cover due to the different accessory mount points and pulley alignment issues. You're not saving anything by reusing the new style cover. The gasket set is ~$10-15.

Just a note on the HO\AOD combo from the Lincoln... If it is from a Mark VII the trans is ~1" longer overall than all other AODs of that vintage. It's unique to the Mark VII. Make sure to figure this into your calculations for drive shaft length. The difference is in the tail shaft and housing.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I have a 1988 5.0 out of a LTD that I want to put in my 1968 Ranchero. But I want to use the old pulleys from the old engine. Can I use the old water pump on the new engine so it will turn the right way? Also I keep seeing advertizments for an adapter to convert your power steering to manual steering. What is the advantage of this?

Terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas

IIRC, you have to change both the water pump and the front cover along with the drive pulleys. You must also use the correct damper for the engine as they are balanced differently. IOW, you cannot interchange the damper between the two. The so-called adapter to convert to manual steering is just an idle pulley to replace the PS pump.

If your Ranchero has PS, I suggest you simply have a pressure hose made to use the late 5.0L pump. The steering gearbox won't know the difference. All that said, there really is no reason to use your old auxilliary drive system unless you are concerned with appearance. The later serpentine drive is superior and you won't have to worry about all those changes tothe engine. If you don't use the air pump, just get a shorter belt which are readily available. The alternator setup is easily adaptable to your electrical system.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks for all the input.

Long story , short,,, bought the 5.0 first, it came with all the accesories and wiring. Then picked up a 1988 5.0 HO with an AOD transmission, but no accesories out of a Lincoln. So I'm putting the HO in my wifes Jag with the accesories and wiring from the 5.0 and the 5.0 into my Ranchero which had a bad engine. Naturally the engine swap budget is going to favor the wife's jag, so I'm trying to keep costs down on the Ranchero. That's why I'm trying to use the old 302 accesories and pulleys on the 5.0 engine. I've redrilled the crankshaft v-belt pulley to fit on the 5.0 balancer, but if I use the

5.0 water pump it will turn backwards, so thats why I wanted to use the old 302 water pump. I can get an electric fuel pump fairly cheap, and I've lined up a 4-barrel intake manifold ($20.00) and 600 cfm Holley ($1.00) that way I won't need to change the front cover. I hope! Any thing I'm missing here?

Oh and when I'm done with these, I've got a 1956 Willys pickup that needs a new engine. I'm thinking about a ford flathead v-8. I've seen it done and it looks like it was made for the truck. Hoping to retire in a couple of years so I can devote more time to important things like this!!!

thanks, Terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas

You are correct, Tom. There are quite a few details I didn't even start to cover or even think about at the time of my response. I think if it were mine, and it is intended to be a daily driver, I would use as musch of the more modern stuff including the EFI system as possible. A bit more work perhaps but very rewarding results. A local fellow built a "66 Stang 2+2 a few years ago using a '92 Stang donor for everything he could including the 5 speed which he later upgraded to an aftermarket 6 speed unit. He got great satisfaction driving the car almost every day and took great pleasure in nailing a coupe of late model "Stangs in the stop light gran prix. He also was getting much better fuel mileage than the original

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut