What do you know about Ford Ranger?

I have been wondering if a Ford Ranger would be good for pulling my 15' fishing boat. What engines come in these pickups - about a 2001 model- and do they have good durability and reasonable maintenance costs?

Reply to
Moses

I would start by finding out what the towing capacity of the truck is. The towing capacity varies by the engine, transmission and drive type (2WD vs. 4WD).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I owned two since they were new. 93 with a 4 cyl was still running like new when dufus son put it in the junkyard. 160,000 miles and it burned no oil and I don't think any gaskets leaked either. Doubt it had the power to pull a 15 foot boat but I don't know what that weighs.

2003 now has 90,000 trouble free miles. I pull a trailer with two motorcycles, I guess about 1200 lbs total. This one has an automatic and 3 liter V6.

I will buy another if this one ever wears out

Reply to
Scott

And what does your fishing boat weigh? Big difference between and aluminum skiff with a 10 HP outboad and a 15 ft bass boat with a 100HP

Reply to
nothermark

The boat is an aluminum with 10 hp engine, but I pull it a couple hundred miles at highway speeds. I prefer a 3 sp trans because 4 speed tend to lug with trailer and 4 sp in 3rd gear tends to race the engine.

Reply to
Moses

You could pull something like that with just about anything. Are you talking about manual or automatic transmissions? I don't think you can find a three speed in either type anymore. I used to pull a

17'-6" 75 hp ski boat with my 92 explorer with no problems. The explorer is built on more or less the same underpinnings as the Ranger.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Well..... 3rd gear in a 3 speed (wow - been a long time since a trans like that has been offered) is "direct.. a 1:1 ratio..... 3rd gear in a 4 speed (typically, this is a 3 speed plus overdrive) is a 1:1 ratio....

FWIW, since mid to late 90s, the Ranger has been available with 4.0 engine....

My sons 97 handles his single axle holiday trailer quite easily.

The boat is an aluminum with 10 hp engine, but I pull it a couple hundred miles at highway speeds. I prefer a 3 sp trans because 4 speed tend to lug with trailer and 4 sp in 3rd gear tends to race the engine.

Reply to
Jim Warman

My old boss bought a 92 ranger 2WD with a 4.0 liter , automatic , towed his 19ft

5th wheel around for 5 years , through the rocky mountains , had trans rebuilt around 150,000 miles , when he traded truck in in 97 the ranger had 420,000 KM or around 250,000 miles ..still running good , ended up with a dakota 97 2 wheel drive ...tranny was rebuilt twice befor 38,000 kms My son bought a 94 ranger , 2 WD 4.0 liter, hi mileage , he took it to the race track , first time out , ran 16.6..around 85 mph ...he was racing a 91 mustange 5.0 liter witch ran 16.2 @ 88 mph but had the stang beat til 1/2 track
Reply to
Chevy