TDI Engine in a Ford Ranger?

I was looking around at cars over the weekend and noticed the Ford Ranger and Jetta Wagon TDI are about the same weight and have roughly the same hood size... I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to put a TDI engine in a Ranger. I know people have been doing it with some Jeeps and I've heard about a TDI being put in an Astro Van. Anyone tried it? Sounds like a pretty good idea to me, to get a vehicle bigger than the current diesel fair, but not with a huge, overpowered engine.

Any ideas, comments?

Reply to
matthew russell

If the Jetta Wagon really is about the same weight as a compact pickup than it's way more overweight than I thought. My GTI is about 2,900 punds and that seems heavy to me, for such a small car. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

According to autos.yahoo.com the Jetta GLS TDI with an automatic transmission is 3212, and according to carsdirect.com the Ranger is

3028... now, I could be reading something wrong, I don't know nearly as much about cars as I know about computers. ;)

matthew russell

My god.... Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

yeah but in a crash I'd rather be in a jetta than a ranger.

Reply to
Matt B.