Where is the tank switcher?

Here is one that will not be in the owners manual.

This Ford F150 has dual gas tanks. I have had other vehicles that have dual tanks and there is normally an electric fuel switch-valve. They were always under the vehicle, had a hose from each gas tank hooked to it, and the 3rd hose that goes to the engine. They seemed to always go bad every few years.

This truck does not have one of those switch-valves. It has dual tanks but does not have any visible switch-valve under the floor. I carefully looked. There are two hoses from each tank that connect in a TEE. (gas hose and vapor return).

At first I thought someone removed that valve and installed these tees, but it looks original.

There is a switch on the dash to switch from front to rear tanks. The front one works, but when I switch to the rear one, the engine dies. What in the heck is that switch switching?

Reply to
alvinamorey

If memory serves correctly, your truck switches the FUEL PUMPS not the lines.

Reply to
ScottM

I found the switch, but when I switch it to REAR the engine dies. I didn't know this had the fuel pumps in the tank. Guess I do now. Sounds like a bitch to do the repair, I hate removing gas tanks. Maybe this is one for the local repair shop.

It seems that all vehicles that have fuel injection have their fuel pumps in the gas tanks these days. Whatever happened to the old fuel pumps on the side of the engine block that took 15 min. to change. I guess nothing is easy these days when it comes to repairs.

Thanks

Reply to
alvinamorey

They went away with carburators. It works most efficient at the source of fuel, keeps it cool, and has the pressure needed for fuel injection.

It could be the switch itself that is bad, or the wiring, but don't count on it. I would bet the pump.

Reply to
ScottM

If i recall correctly, there are three pumps, i htink this is how it was on my 95. one in each tank, and then a single inline one.

Reply to
Picasso

And this opens the door for the obvious question...... What freakin' year is the truck in question????

Reply to
Jim Warman

It's a 1990. There are numerous other problems/ posts from the same guy. He's definitely not having a good time learning his "new" vehicle.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Or he is having a blast. It is like when you move into a new neighborhood, and you get to explore the area.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That's true! I didn't think of it that way.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Whatever happened to the old fuel

You're kidding, right? I mean about the 15 minutes. Course I am referring to SB Chevvies but it was no damn 15 minute job.

MAINLY because you did it from up top... only an idiot would do it from underneath. After the first time, that is.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I helped do a fuel pump change on an '85 Toyota P/U that ran, from first bolt loosening to last bolt tight, about four minutes. It took us longer to wait for the sales clerk to get it off the shelf and to pay for it than it took to install it.

Reply to
Tim J.

Depends if the gasket needed to be scraped off or not. The scraping took longer than the rest of the job. Also depended on what was in the way. The older cars were a snap till they put an AC unit or something else in the way. My old 79 Ford truck would have been a 15 min. job if the gasket came off in one piece. Lots of room to work in there.

Reply to
alvinamorey

The front tank is under the drivers seat on driver side. I can see the rather large fuel filter. (like you said, under the seat). The pump must be above the tank. I cant see it. I did notice some wires going to that rear tank, looks like 3 or 4 wires. I thought they were trailer connector wires till I looked closer.

Reply to
alvinamorey

1990 F150 4WD pickup truck, 4 speed manual trans, 302 engine fuel injected.
Reply to
alvinamorey

An Antique!!!!!! Just a dig.... don't take it serious...

Your switch simply turns one or the other pump on....

My best advice... purchase the best manual you can afford for your vehicle.... I've been doing this for nearly 40 years.... used to be that a car was a car was a car.... Today, without adequate documentation, there is a world of hurt to be found even for seasoned techs - if we plan on "off the cuff" diagnosis.

Is there a problem with the fuel system? Or is this simply a "fact finding" mission (not that this is bad)?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ummmm.... I don't think that there is a fuel pump out there that is easier to change than the one on a Toyota 22R. The freakin' thing is about in your lap....

All things being equal, there are no equal things.... replace the lift pump on a 7.3 DI.... no 15 minute job.... replace the fuel pump on an old small block Chev... it can take more than 15 minutes to get the jiggle pin to stay where you want it........

After this many years, I have found that there should be nothing to give us a "smug" feeling.... Hard to explain to the uninitiated or inexperienced.... But I'm over 40 and what the f*ck do I know?

Top postingly yours....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Don't forget your sidearm, and your running shoes so you can get away fast ;)

Reply to
Picasso

you know that you are getting to be an old fart that has no patience when dealing with those young whippersnappers that know everything.

Reply to
Tom