Worlds best seller is hated by the Environuts

Our planet may be in trouble: according to Top Gear, the best-selling car in the world is the Ford F-150 pickup truck. They are sold at an astonishing rate of 107 every hour of every day of the year, which means two or three went while I was composing this paragraph. Getting only 14/20 mpg, that's not good news for anyone except Exxon and several dozen lucky Sheiks.

What's even more astonishing is the bulk of these sales are in North America alone. Thank goodness for that--if the Chinese started driving and buying these behemoths at the rate Americans do, well, it would be like a global-environmental version of when everyone flushes their toilets at the same time and the water mains all explode.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And Mike: With a few modifications you can get a lot better mileage..... You can get high 20's MPG..... I run a 5.4 Litre V-8 with tires one size larger, cold air intake, and cat-back dual exhaust. I was getting 21 MPG, but when I added a programmer my mileage increased a lot more. On a flat road at 50 MPH my mileage is at 30 MPG. At 70 MPH it drops to

28 MPG. I was able to firm up the shift> Our planet may be in trouble: according to Top Gear, the best-selling car in
Reply to
Old Harley Rider

Truck buyers buy Ford trucks because the NEED trucks to be capable of doing the work they NEED them to do. They don't buy them for the fuel mileage, if that was their goal they would buy smaller trucks. ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually, the best selling car is for kids:

As far as vehicles that can be driven by grown-ups, Toyota Corolla is #1.

If it took you that long to write the paragraph, you're slow.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffutz

Many buyers buy them as personal transportation rather than because they need a truck to carry things.

Jeff

$19122$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com...

Reply to
Jeffutz

Actually, the best selling car is for kids:

As far as vehicles that can be driven by grown-ups, Toyota Corolla is #1. I don't know where they got their info. Must be from the same source that told the newspapers (on election evening) that Dewey had beaten Harry S. Truman....

If it took you that long to write the paragraph, you're slow.

Perhaps it took that long for him to dumb it down so people like you would be able to grasp the meaning.

Jeff

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

I did not write anything. What was posted was a quote, dummy and the article referred to the worlds best selling VEHICLE not the best selling car. Not only is the F150 currently the best selling VEHICLE in the world it has been for 32 years, thus far.

Actually, the best selling car is for kids:

As far as vehicles that can be driven by grown-ups, Toyota Corolla is #1.

If it took you that long to write the paragraph, you're slow.

Jeff

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Who knows why anyone buys what the chose to buy with their own money? Perhaps you should do a survey of the worlds buyers if you want to know? LOL

Many buyers buy them as personal transportation rather than because they need a truck to carry things.

Jeff

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Without citing the source, how would one know? You know what that makes you? Plagiarizer.

What article? Just because something is in print doesn't make it true.

Not true. More corollas are sold than F-150s.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffutz

One doesn't have to do a survey to realize that a lot of people who have trucks don't need them.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffutz

If the Chinese ever learn what they are missing, F150 sales will skyrocket.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Not true. More corollas are sold than F-150s.

Jeff

Incorrect. Here are the top 10 sellers for the first 6 months of 2009.

  1. Ford F-Series: 179,632 6. Honda Civic: 118,459 2. Toyota Camry: 150,242 7. Nissan Altima: 96,428 3. Chevrolet Silverado: 149,949 8. Dodge Ram: 94,516 4. Honda Accord: 131,043 9. Ford Fusion: 85,146 5. Toyota Corolla: 121,643 10. Honda CR-V: 78,917

Gotta love google,

mike

Reply to
Mike

Those stats for are the US, not the world. Note how you claim that the F-150 is the best selling vehicle in the world. And, the F-series is not the same as the F-150 (there f-250s, f-350s, etc., too).

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Isn't Top Gear the same program that praises supercars like the Bugattit Veyron? Two seats, no luggage room, and less that 12 mpg? The Veyron makes the F150 look like the most sensible vehicle on the planet.

Top Gear can be very amusing. It is also UK centric and routinely makes fun of Americans. It also regularly deviates from reality.

Reply to
C. E. White

I suspect that the Ford F Series as a whole does outsell the Corolla world wide. Might be hard to add up all the sales for both around the world. But it is sort of meaningless. Neither is actually a single model. And whenever Toyota claims the Corolla is the best selling car of all time or even best selling nameplate of all time, I cringe. "Corollas" are not comparable to Model T's or VW Bugs (the original, not the current Bugette). While lots of cars called Corolla have been sold, they are not at all the same, or even evolved from the same platform. While a 1927 Model T had much in common with a 1908 Model T, a 2009 Corolla has nothing in common with the original 1966 Corolla other than the Model Name. And even claiming that "Corolla" is best selling "nameplate" of all time is bogus. What ia a nameplate? Isn't "Toyota" or "Ford" a nameplate? For years Ford sold cars as "Ford Model T," "Ford Model A," "Ford V8," etc. Is this a lot different that saying Toyota Corolla Matrix, Toyota Corolla Tercel, etc., etc.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Depends of what one is referencing. By far, the best selling single brand vehicle is not a car, it is the Ford "F" Series. The best selling SINGLE model is the F150 and it has been for thirty two years. If you doubt that, search the US Department of Commerce site for the facts, WBMS

In ether case no CAR comes close to the total annual sales numbers for the Fords, with the exception of the Silverado, which is second and also a truck.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Your suggestion stinks, because the DoC doesn't have the data of which you speak. If I am incorrect, show the URL.

For the first 3/4 of 2009, over 260,000 Camries were sold, while less than 230,000 Silverados were sold. So you're wrong about this, as well. Camries are the second best selling vehicle in the US.

That's in the US. I don't know about the rest of the world.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Hey there, I drive an F-150 too... because I want to! Was just wondering if you could share your setup, i.e., tire size, which cold air intake, which cat back and which tuner you're using. I'm over 70k miles so factory warranty is no longer an issue now. Was also thinking of getting hotter COPS on the plugs as well.

Thanks! Matt

Reply to
sleepdog