1.8 gear box

Hi All, I have a UK Focus 1.8 LX T Reg, Jan 1999 (Zetec engine). A few days ago I started hearing some bangs when leaving junctions etc. Eventually on Friday morning I heard the bang again and then couldn't change gear anymore. Stopped the engine, it started again fine but was making noice.

As I couldn't put the first gear on, got the car recovered to the nearest garage. They diagnosed the problem to be a broken gear box disk and quoted about £600 to get the gear box exchanged for a re-conditioned one and a cluch replaced.

Does it sound reasonable? Does it often happen in Focuses? What might have been the reason?

Would be grateful for any insight.

Regards, Marcin

Reply to
Marcin Konopka

The iB5 box isnt the strongest about, though they usually dont give trouble unless abused. My Reverse gear makes a click click click noise but hasnt got any worse in 55k miles, and I hope it doesnt either!

£600 is a reasonable Ford charge for the work you quote- its quite abit of work to make room and get the box out. (front subframe dropped etc, and the gear change linkage is a sod)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.