removing gear box

This weekend I have tried to remove the gear box on my Passat TDI '00 in order to replace the clutch. I have finally managed to remove all the bolts. Now I can move the gear box about 2 cm backwards, but then it won't move anymore. There are two tubes above the gear box, just behind the engine that seems to be in the way. I have followed the procedure in the Haynes manual, but it says nothing about those tubes. I haven't been able to understand what these tubes are for or what they contain. My guess is that they are a part of some cooling system, but I'm not sure. They are both connected to the engine case.

Does anybody know what these tubes are, and how I remove them? It is not easy to see or work on them. Does the Bentley manual mention these tubes in there procedure for removing the gear box? I guess I should get that manual too. Sometimes (quite often) the Haynes manual is not detailed enough for me. When it says something like "remove all the bolts that you can reach from above" I always ask: How many bolts are there? Where are they? It took a long time before I realized that I had missed one bolt at the top of the transmission. I couldn't be seen, and was not easy to feel.

Engine: AJM Gear box: 012

/Sven

Reply to
Sven Agardh