Diesel variants

I'm wondering, when I look at second-hand focus diesels, what's the best way to check the variant of engine type and power in a particular model? Is it best to check the paperwork or check under the bonnet? Does the V5 spell out the type (115bhp TDCI, 100bph TDCI or 90bhp direct injection)? No doubt it's obvious if you know what you're looking at in the engine compartment, but are there any clues to look out for? Some sellers are a bit vague about the actual diesel variant installed, even if they do know it's a diesel and not a petrol engine!

Reply to
Chris Game

On my old escort it tells you the power on the air box

Reply to
Hoot!!!

I take it from the lack of response there's no fool-proof way? I notice the rocker covers have TDCi on them (presumably if appropriate) but how to tell if it's a 100php or a 115 bhp unit? Or if someone's swapped the cover?

Reply to
Chris Game

The registration documents will give the engine size.

My insurance company had all the car details (make/model/colour/engine size) from the registration number.

I believe the information in contained in the VIN number. Do a news archive search at for VIN ford decoding etc.

Reply to
Alan

You miss the point. Both the 100 and 115 engines are 1.8 litres displacement. The power difference is due to software *alone*

There is visually almost no way to tell them apart.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

My impression was that the 115 was more than just "chip-tuned". I think there is also a physical difference in the turbocharger, but you also won't see that from the top of the engine.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

So, as there is a price difference of several hundred pounds between the two variants, how does one tell if a dealer is pulling a fast one (so to speak)? Particularly if second-hand.

Reply to
Chris Game

If you feel it's software driven, get out your scantool and determine what version of software you have hiding in there. The VIN doesn't tell you those kinds of things there ?

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

Likewise I should be able to use me Bluefin and clone the software from a

115 into a 100 and get a 115. Bet its not that simple though!!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

This difference between the 2 is the cam and software

Reply to
Hoot!!!