Oil/Filter: Time vs Mileage, and oil viscosity (two questions)

We will be putting only 6k miles per year on our 2005 Focus ST ZX4 . Is there any harm to just changing the oil and filter every 5k miles, vs the recommended 6-month schedule. At our mileage level, we would be changing oil about every 10-11 months. The car is operated in a relatively dust free region, and consists mostly of 3 to 20 mile trips, but almost no stop-and-go commuter traffic. I use 5w30 wt. Mobil One synthetic on my 1997 Crown Vic , which I realize is not an extended range oil, but I have had good luck with it on that car on the 5k interval, vs by the 6 month schedule. Also, I will check the owners manual for viscosity, as I don't yet know what the recommended weights of synthetics are for the Focus. Any of you use synthetics for the 2.3 liter dohc engine? If so, what weight oil? Thanks

Reply to
Roger Taylor

In alt.autos.ford.focus Roger Taylor :

Iirc the Ford recommended interval for petrol engines is 20.000 km or once a year at least in Germany and probably other parts of Europe. So much for recommendations. Oil is AFAIK 5W30 synthetic.

[..]
Reply to
Michael Heiming