Radiator Cooling Fans running permanently

Hi,

(1.8i Focus Hatchback, 98). Last night I went out to the car which had been sat there for about 4 hours from when we last got in - only to find both radiator cooling fans running. They weren't running when we came home, so for some reason they have decided to kick in and drain my battery. Now, everytime I re-connect the battery, the fans instantly start up again !

Any clues ?

Cheers, Tim.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

A short? A temp-controlled thermo switch frozen closed? If so, it sounds like an easy, inexpensive fix.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

In message , Craig wrote

One other possibility - if the relay controlling the fan(s) is stuck in the closed position the two fans would run. One fan would be running faster than the other.

On a UK Focus (2001) the relay is in the fuse box under the bonnet. It's Relay 16 and is dark green.

If the relay is stuck try hitting it (firmly but gently) with the handle of a screw driver to see you can shock it to unstick it. Otherwise remove the relay to see if _both_ fans stop - then either see if you can get the cover off to see if anything is wrong or maybe replace it.

Reply to
Alan

Hi all,

In case it's of any use - I think I've found the problem. There is a small lead attached directly to the battery feed which goes into a 30A fuse that is tie-wrapped to the side of the battery comparment in its own fuse holder. From here, it goes into a small cylindrical thing that is also tie-wrapped to the battery compartment. This device has a brass threaded end that looks like it should be screwed into something. The other wire from this devices feeds the 6-pin connector that services both fans and the fan-resistor assembly.

This cylindrical thing looks in a bad way when I took it apart - lots of corrosion etc. Off to get a replacement tomorrow - just wish I knew what the eck it was !

Cheers.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins