Re: Focus error codes

The dealer said I need a whole rebuilt transmission. For over $2500.

The OBD computer gave me a P0761 code: SSC functional failure (Mechanical or hydraulic failure of the shift solenoid.) "This causes incorrect gear selection depending on condition mode and manual lever position." (This is an accurate description of the symptom: it fails to shift into overdrive occasionally.)

So who do I believe? The dealer or the computer?

To answer my own question: > Newer vehicles (after 1996 in US) are required to have OBD II onboard > diagnostics, which come in three varieties: PWM, ISO and VPW. > An "official" scanner from Ford runs $2500.
has a > complete solution for $99 that runs on a laptop PC. It has more capability > than the "official" one since it is PC based: save files, large screen > plots, etc.
has the same interface and cables ($85), plus > freeware software. I recommend the digimoto complete package to get up and > running. You can always download the free software later. > Having this little gadget allows you to check the error codes BEFORE you > take your car in to protect yourself from repair scams. It would also be a > great tool for shopping for a used car. (A good way to intimidate the > used-car salesman. ;>) > > --Dave Harris > > > > > I bought a used 2000 Ford Focus some months ago. On my previous car > > (Subaru Legacy) it was easy to read out the stored error codes by just > > putting a jumper wire on the connector. I installed two toggle switches > so > > that I could read the codes without getting under the panel every time. > > I have been searching for the information on how to read the codes on > > the Focus. I can just buy a $2500 tester and plug it in. There are > others > > that "only" cost $ hundreds. (A toggle switch is cheaper. ;>) > > Does anyone know where I can find the information (and the list of > > codes)? > > > > Dave > > > > > >
Reply to
NewsRR