Reflections on Windshield

Oh, *that* one. :)

Ah! I never drive less than 40km/hr. (Don't aske me how I get in and out of the car. )

USan product; didn't remember where you were (until I just read your use of kilometers). It's pretty...er...slick, no pun intended. You probably have access to something like it.

Re that author's enthusiasm about night vision, I happened to have a chance to test that same thing shortly after I first used Rain-X. I was in heavy traffic that slowed the freeway down to about 60km/hr, in a downpour at night. I turned off the wipers and found the view to be surprising; even at that low speed, where I wasn't clearing the glass with a hurricane-like stream of air, I could drive perfectly safely; my vision was amazingly clear.

Perhaps that's why I don't have the trickle-down issues you do...even at low speed, perhaps the water's ending up where it's not available for dribbling down the glass in front of you.

If you have an equivalent, there, it's worth a shot at US$3 - convert as needed - a bottle. I did all of my glass with it, and probably have half the bottle left.

Mine uses 22"/560mm driver's side and 19"/475mm passenger's side.

Blinky the Shark

I will have to check the local stores.. I am sure there is a variety of equivilants lining the shelves of the Canadian Tire.

Reply to
Craig Bennett

I wouldn't be surprised to find Rain-X itself there; but yes, certainly there should be an equivalent.

*Someone* up there's getting it:

BARC-OC Grand Prix of Ontario Report

I have to say, from the forever optimist's point of view - it was a really fun weekend! Again - the Friday was a stellar day followed by two days of fog, rain and cold. (Note to self - try and attend all of this season's test days - two events for two they've been the best weather track days out so far!). Prepared with a canopy, warm clothing, and the appropriate rain wear - also with some good tread, a window defogger and plenty of RainX it was a good solid weekend of racing! Rain is a great equalizer.

Blinky the Shark

Canadian Tire should carry Rain-X (at least, it does in Ontario), as well as a bunch of similar liquids. I tend to go with the easiest route (I call it 'most efficient'), so I generally use the washer fluid with Rain-X in it - it is also good down to -45C, so I use the same stuff year round. This year I am thinking of keeping a spray bottle of it in the house by the door to speed the defrost cyle (my wife gets very annoyed at my requirement for all windows being completely clear before driving off - especially when *I* am late). I have noticed the reflections in the windshield, and having just cleaned the interior, notice that it tends to be worse when there is any dust or grime on the inside surface. Regular cleaning of the window and dash should help. If you like using Armor All, use the 'Low Shine' version (and keep it off the steering wheel!).

I have applied Rain-X on a previous vehicle, and the washer fluid provides satisfactory results, if not quite as good as the separately applied liquid. CT also has washer fluid with Teflon, purported to help the water bead off the windscreen.

BTW - I love not having to fill a separate washer fluid reservoir for the rear window!

Paul

Reply to
tpmaybury

I am glad I am not the only one who takes the time to clear all the windows before I start driving.

I used armor all on the last car as the dash was a lot more smoother - sort of leather like. This one is stipled plastic looking so it is just cleaned and not shined. I hear the steering wheel coment. Accidently did that one once.

Oh my - just ran out the other day and indeed - was very very pleased with that.

Reply to
Craig Bennett