Speed pulse take-off for display unit

I want to install a speed display unit in a 2002 UK Ford Focus 1.6. Installation instructions for the unit (Defi VSD BASIS) suggest tapping into the Speed Pulse (SP) wire going to the ECU but I don't want to do that as the ECU connections are hidden behind a tamper-proof shield that I don't want to er... tamper with!

Can anyone suggest another way to tap into the Speed Pulse signal inside the car (I don't want to run wires through to the engine compartment). Perhaps the Speed Pulse signal is fed to the radio?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Reply to
John Barnes

Looking at the only diagram I have, (Haynes), it looks like the VSS connects to the ECU only. The speed signal to the radio is an output from the ECU and so unlikely to be of use to you.

If you really must do this, (and I wouldn't!), why not splice into the wire near to the ECU? If you want to try this, the wire is white with a blue tracer, on pin 3.

Let us know how you get on.

HTH

Chris

Reply to