VSS replacement on a '99 1.8 Focus Zetec

Hi,

Recently got this car and it seems to have the speedo problem that has been discussed a few times in this group. i.e. the speedo suddenly drops to zero while driving and the engine splutters a wee bit.

Anyway, it sounds like it is the VSS from what I can gather from this group.

Now what I would like to know from any Focus gurus out there is what is the best manual that would show me how to change the VSS? Was thinking of buying the Haynes manual but would this show me how to do this? In fact what is the best general manual for the Focus? Have seen alot of CDs and stuff on ebay but I'm not convinced thay are any good having bought one for a Volvo I owned.

Thanks.

Reply to
SkeanDu

The Haynes manual will not help you one little bit with this job I'm afraid. Incidentally, neither will the Ford TIS DVD.

Here is a "how-to" based partly on what I have posted in the past:

I would advise getting a new retaining pin before you start as the chances are you will destroy the old pin during removal. It is not supplied with the new sensor.

Using a pair of pliers, bend the flat clip out of the way. (It does not go in to the hole; it just presses on the casting.) It will probably detach itself when you do this. Grip the pin with a pair of side-cutters close to the transmission housing and then use the side-cutters to lever the pin out. You will have to keep repositioning the side-cutters along the length of the pin as it gradually moves.

Others have suggested clamping mole grips on the pin, then tapping the mole grips with a hammer. I tried that, but it didn't work for me. YMMV.

Once the pin is removed, the VSS is still a bit hard to get out. It has two O-rings on it that make it a tight fit in the housing. DO NOT be tempted to try to knock it upwards with a drift and hammer. This might result in the sensor breaking, leaving half of it in the hole!

In the limited space available, wrap a piece of rag around the sensor and rock it GENTLY from side to side and twist it as you pull upwards. Take your time and it will eventually come out.

I have seen it suggested that removing the transmission fluid level plug before you start makes sensor removal easier. I assume this is to prevent the vacuum created by pulling the sensor out tending to hold it in place. I'm not sure it would make any difference, but I suppose it would give you the chance to check the fluid level whilst you are under the vehicle.

I agonised for ages before tackling mine, but once I took the plunge I did it in less than 20 minutes.

I hope this helps you. Let the group know how you get on.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for instructions... it doesn't sound too difficult. Just one thing. I don't even know where the VSS is located!! Thats why I was wondering if there was a decent manual that would give me a picture of where it is! I'll have a google and see if i can find out.

Thanks.

Reply to
SkeanDu

There is a photo in Haynes, but it didn't help me one bit!

Best way I can describe where it is:

Raise the front of the car and support safely. Slide under the car from the front. If you look up when you get to the bulkhead, the VSS can be seen (just!) slightly to the right of centre on the top of the transmission.

If it's a 1.8 or 2.0 engine, the nearest easily identifiable component is the oil filter I guess.

I cannot think of any way that its position could be photographed in any meaningful way to be honest.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

ok... ta.

I'll have a look tomorrow and see if can find the thing.

Cheers.

Reply to
SkeanDu