ZX3 Break-in period?

I just purchased a 2003 ZX3 (2.0 Zetec), and was surprised to find no mention of engine break-in procedure in the owner's manual. I have done a couple of google searches on the subject and wound up with conflicting opinions. Does anyone know how many miles Ford recommends for break-in?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

IIRC, the manual (2000) said that no break-in procedure is needed. I recommend doing it any way. Avoid full throttle and speeds over 55 or 60. When expressway driving, don't drive at one speed, vary your speed when it is safe and not annoying to other drivers. First 1,500 Miles should be plenty. John

Reply to
jriegle

Drive normally, avoid constant speed, and do not labour the engine. Rather change gear too often than not enough. Work the engine reasonably hard upto about 5000rpm from day one, with acouple of bursts of full throttle.

Far too many people drive a new car too gently and end up with glazed bores and massive oil consumption.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Here's what the downloaded owner's manual says, right on with the advice provided here:

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,600 km (1,000 miles) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed to allow parts to adjust themselves to other parts. Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils during the first few thousand kilometers (miles) of operation, since these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the Maintenance and specifications chapter for more information on oil usage.

Reply to
Rapid Rick