Re: Ford Focus 1.6/1.8 Zetec

Should have added this would be in the UK

I'm looking at buying a FOcus Zetec either 1.6 or 1.8 3 door from between > 1998 and 200 ,and have a couple of questions > > Is there a massive performance difference between the 2 models? I'd > obviously go for the more powerful 1.8 but it would cost me an extra £240 > per year on insurance. > > Also, have there been any changes to the focus range or are the figures > quoted on the ford site for the focus still aplicable to the older (98-00) > models? > > Many thanks > Andrew Banks > >
Reply to
Andrew Banks

In message , Andrew Banks writes

Tim will be along in a minute to tell you about the 1.8's better midrange torque. While you are waiting I'll draw your attention to the

1.6's better fuel consumption, smoother engine and (apart from the midrange torque) generally similar performance. The 1.8 is an iron block engine that was fitted to the old Mondeo. The 1.6 is a new all alloy engine designed by Yamaha and is also available in 1.25, 1.4 & 1.7 versions in other Ford cars.

I think a lot depends on the type of driving you normally do. If you do motorway type driving, you wont miss the extra mid range grunt the 1.8 offers. If you drive a lot of single carriageway roads that require you to do nifty overtaking then you should consider the 1.8 engine.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Andrew Banks writes

Would now be a bad time to mention that I *bitched* about my last premium going up to £189? (Fully comp, full protected NCB, named driver and twice your age)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Sorry did you say something?

Oh well, my stupid mistake, better pay up and shut up!

Reply to
Andrew Banks

Paul,

My usual type of driving is city driving and inter-city driving. Mainly on B or A roads with 50/60 MPH limits. I'm after something that can sit on the motorway at a steady 70 or the A's at a steady 50/60 but still have the power if I need to fly past a truck or pass a middle lane hogger on the M62 etc...

The village I live in is a main route for HGV's and only has a few overtaking spots. I need to know that if I hit the pedal that it will respond. I was driving a 1.3 J reg escort until Feb which was OK but lacked the power for overtaking.

Will the 1.8 give me any real benefit over the 1.6 in these situations?

Reply to
Andrew Banks

I think you will be more than happy with the 1.6 given the conditions you mention, and that you probably want to remain doing 70mph and not alot faster(!)

However both the 1.6 and 1.8 will cruise very easily at an indicated 90+mph, the larger engined one will just get there sooner and maintain it more easily up hill or when loaded without a shift back to 4th..

With your HGV overtaking spot work route, you will need to be ready in 3rd gear, more so with the 1.6, to get quickly, safely past the lorrys. Both engines have rev limits on the wrong side of 6500rpm which in 3rd gear is

80+mph. The 1.6 is happy at this speed, with the 1.8 you're better off changing up at around 6000 if really pushing it.

Like I said, test drive both on your daily route if possible.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Where abouts are you? My 01 W 1.8 is for sale at the right price ;) Aqua frost, 5 door, climate, 47k, FSH every 5000 miles. Shropshire.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks to both of you for the advice.

A test drive would be amazing, the only thing I'm missing is a license at the moment. It's due back on 26/01/2004. It may look like I'm planning too far in advance but for a 22 year old a financial commitment of around £6000 plus £1500/year/insurance is a major comitment that needs plenty of planning. If I'm gonna spend over £10,500 in 3 years then I'd better make sure it's worth it.

Out of interest Tim, what are you asking for yours?

Reply to
Andrew Banks