'01 Ranger A/C

Greetings: The a/c on my 2001 Ranger XLT (3.0) has slowly but surely begun blowing less and less cold air. The system works fine otherwise. What's involved in recharging it? I'm dating myself when I say that my last car used Freon! So I'm not sure if this is something normal, and easily (read: cheaply) done, or a more serious project. Something I can buy at NAPA and do myself? I should note that I'm in Kalifornia, and the truck has 76K on it. THANKS!

Reply to
DonBeppino

R-134 with a great sealer ran me $25. Includes the hose to put it in, along with simple instructions. Ask your parts counter person...

Reply to
Big Red Truck

If the truck is still blowing *some* cold air, then you may be alright using the sealer that Big Red Truck suggested. But if it's not cool at all, you would be better off taking it to a professional to have it looked at. If you put the sealer in and charge the system back to what it's supposed to have and it still doesn't work, then you'll have to bring it to a pro anyhow, and they get really pissed if there's sealant in the system (ask a friend of mine :-) ), and will probably charge you more to fix it correctly. Aside from the fact that Arnold will probably send Greenpeace to off you :-(

If it has taken 9 years to bleed down, it's probably not too bad of a leak, and you could try a can of 134a and the charging hose with a gauge. You can usually pick up the kit at Wallyworld, or at least you can outside of California. They're simple enough to use, and will give a rough idea of the correct charge. They show the pressure and have a chart that says what it should be and what to do if it doesn't fall into that range.

Reply to
SC Tom

If you have NEVER had it serviced, in 9 years, then the amount lost is normal, and DO NOT try the sealer, just put in one can of about 12 ounces of R134A, that comes with the hose to connect to the low side port, while the engine is running, idling, with the AC on.

A refrigerater thermometer in the vent is a help, to see it drop...

The whole job to re-charge takes less than about 10 minutes...

Follow the instructions, on the can, on the package, and, remember to wear eye protection, and leather gloves, to avoid frost bite and other injuries, in the case of some catastrophe.

I wear a face shield and welders gloves... heavy duty long sleeved shirt. I have had a hose blow on an old car. No warning of impending doom! Even though I was young, fit, in the Air Force, trained in HVAC for mobile rigs, and had excellent reaction time, there is no possible way to react in time.

Be safe out there!

Reply to
Big Red Truck

That's where I got my training, too, back in 1965! Go Air Force, beat Army! I was in HVAC for Radar and Computing Equipment Cooling, but since it was a small radar site, that was extended to the motor pool and base housing. I was stationed at the 693rd Radar Station on Dauphin Island, Alabama. It's no longer there, but from what I've seen in the news and on Google Earth, the island has really been developed from when I was there. (Knew I should have bought some land.)

You're right, there is no warning. Unless the hose has a soft spot in it like a radiator hose, you'll never see it coming. And even if you see it expanding, it's probably too late to get out of the way.

Reply to
SC Tom

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try the 134 without the sealer first, see what happens. Not being real mechanically inclined, would I be mistaken to think that the instructions on the can/package are writen for the novice, and that I'll find the right hose without having to take my engine apart? (OK, so I exaggerate a bit)...

Reply to
DonBeppino

The kit that I got had one can and one hose with a gauge. The female fitting on the end of the hose will only fit one of the two male fittings under the hood. The instructions are written for novices, so just about anyone should be able to follow them.

-- SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Thanks, Tom.