A/C on 1997 Ranger V6 just stopped working.

Drove to work in the morning and the A/C worked fine. The air conditioner wouldn't even start on the way home in the afternoon though and I couldn't hear it even turning on. The weird thing is that my heater control valve was leaking coolant at the same time so I drove it home and replaced thinking maybe that had something to do with the A/C but to no avail. Anyone with a similar experience or advice?

Reply to
superkid

You can try this. Locate the low pressure switch it is on the passenger side by the evaporater. Disconnect it and take a paper clip and insert both ends in the plug then see if the compressor kicks on. If it does you either are low on your Refrigerant or you have a bad low side pressure switch which is very common in the ranger and explorer.

Reply to
Tim G

But, if it works doing this, don't leave it running with the paper clip. Repair the low Freon, or bad pressure switch problem. Tim G's suggestion is correct for a test, but long term you can burn up a compressor, and that equals $$$$.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Well, it turned out to be the compressor. I had to have it replaced, which after parts and labor + tax came out to almost $600. I'm thinking of getting rid of the truck now. Too many problems.

Reply to
superkid

But if you've spent the money to have it fixed, wouldn't it make sense to at least enjoy your moneys worth out of it first?

Just a thought.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

There is no enjoyment to be found in my truck. As far as I'm concerned, it's a pile of garbage. I've never known so many things to go wrong on a car with so few miles. Not only mechanical parts but electrical.

A failed fuel filter left me stranded in the Utah desert, fuel canister also had to be fixed (65,000miles): $1000 total. Ball joints and shocks replaced (73,000miles):around $700 I think. Dome light problem that everybody with a Ranger experiences, I fixed mine with WD-40. Right turn signal doesn't work when it's less than 40 degrees or so outside. Windshield wipers don't do what you tell them to, they stall and go off randomly. The squeaks and rattles are increasing and drive me crazy (can't find the source). And now I had to replace the A/C compressor for $580. Also, the transmission is lurchy and slips when it's cold outside. It only has 82,000 miles on it and I just know more problems are on the horizon. I have a feeling I better sell it before winter since so many problems seem related to the weather which seems really weird.

Reply to
superkid

Well, sounds like you need a new turn signal combination switch, and maybe the transmission freshened up a bit, but the rest of the stuff is wear and tear items, which would cost you more on a lot of other vehicles.

I see your point, though, seems like everything happens at once, and it gives you a bad taste for your truck.

Good luck with it, though!

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader