1977 ford f250 4x4 400m

My question is , Did my truck come with cats? I have heard many different answers to this question. The sticker that was on the valve cover has been rubbed off so I dont know if it did or not. I had one smog tech tell me that it is supposed to have them and where it is now the tech thinks it doesnt. Is there a place to find out what equiptment and what requirements there should be on stuff like this. I would greatly appreciate any help on this. thanks, jimmy

Reply to
jsbonn001

No it did not have cats. Cats were not required on the F150 until 1979. It was even later for the F250.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

If it had a GVW rating under 6000 lbs it would have come with CATS. All vehicles 6000 and below were required to have them that year. Starting in 79 it was 8600 lbs GVW and under. Toady in is 10K and under but that is changing soon too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

No vehicle was "required" to have catalytic convertors in 1979. If the vehicle couldn't meet emissions regulations without them, then they would be 'necessary' but not required.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

url shows many cats available for your year/size truck .So that year/size deffinately had them somewhere.Did California have different standards back then ?

Reply to
samstone

Another one of your troll comments as usual. (I know you can not help it as it is in your blood) There were no vehicles made in 79 under

8600 GVW that could meet requirements without CATS then. I'll bet you were not even driving then or maybe not even around period. My 79 J20 rated at 8400 GVW had them. 78 models did not. This is why there was a sudden larger appearance of 8600 GVW and higher P/U trucks in 79 a later to exploit this loop hole.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You define accuracy and truth as trolling?

There may be an element of truth in that...

Prove it.

In 1979 I was a line technician at Kennedy Chrysler-Plymouth in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Before that, I was a truck mechanic for General Asphalt Paving in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. (unlike you, I fixed dump trucks, not just -drove- them) before that I was a machinist for Mercury Marine in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, I worked in the crankshaft department (cost centers 511 and 515) doing precision grinding of the rod journals of crankshafts from 60 horsepower up to 300 horsepower. Before that, 1 Firestone store,

1 Goodyear store and 2 gas stations. Hah-hah, eat shit and bark at the moon you assclown!

Proves nothing.

Proves nothing again. (other than that you don't know a Jeep from a Ford)

Moron, read what I wrote;

There was and *still* is NOT any "requirement" for any vehicle to have a catalytic converter in The United States.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Not the 250.

Reply to
Steve Barker

The op (as seen in the subject line) was talking about a '77. Nothing but the half-tons had cats that year.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Steve, I had a 78 F150. It did not have cats. That started on the 150 in 1979. The cutoff for smog control up until 79 was 6000lbs as previously stated. The F150 had a GVW at that time 0f 6,050lbs, putting it over the limit for smog control. I believe the F100 had to have it, as it's GVW was under 6000lbs..

Reply to
Marlin Singer

Here's your answer. Ignore all the subsequant pissing contest. In 1977 and

78, it depended in on GVWR in a range that made the F-series confusing. I didn't remember the numbers, but I did remember that the F100 2wd had a cat converter and F150's didn't. We bought a new F150 in 78 (it had no converter).

Since yours is an F250, it didn't have a converter. But this also explains why the inspectors are not competent to inspect the truck. Thier references are flawed because some F-series did have cat converters.

Reply to
Joe

Not all of them. Just some.

Reply to
Joe

As you see, there is no consensus here. I can offer this - my 1977 F150 4X4, with 400 (no M for the 400 BTW), with C6 auto did NOT have cats, nor were they required.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

Thank you to all who responded. I did get my truck smogged. It actually smogged very easily without the cats. The guy who smogged it said that he owned one in high school and he said his did not have them. My valve cover said that it should have them but he said that someone must have changed those from the original. You are right when you say its confusing. It is. I do have another question. Has anyone changed out their ignition to that electronic ignition that doesnt use points and rotors etc. I recently read an article that said it will make the truck run alot smoother. Thanks jimmy

Reply to
jsbonn001

, Did my truck come with cats? I have heard many

Hey thank you for the reply. I did get my truck smogged. The guy who did it had one in school and he said that his did not have them. He showed me his book that made everything even more confusing. It showed that some are supposed to have them if they came equipt with certain equiptment and if they were sold in certain places. Have you any experience with changing the ignition to the electronic ignition with now points, rotor, etc.

Thanks, jimmy

Reply to
jsbonn001