1977 f250 Hood Release

The hood on my pickup will not release. Can any one give me suggestions on how to release the hood? It would also help if I could find a diagram or drawing of the mechanism but not even the repair manual doesn't show this. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
jwant

"jwant" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1113365262.168958.93050 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

do you mean it will not release or is the cable broken? If it just will not release have someone hold the cable in the release position and go and give the hood a sharp rap with your palm of your hand right above the latch area on the hood. It is a common problem on these. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

It does not have a cable release, the release is in the grill of the truck. I have tried essentially everything that you have suggested, and it still won't release.

Reply to
jwant

"jwant" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1113417583.669800.297120 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I guess I personally have not seen one that that tatic didn`t work on that the latch wasn`t actually broke on. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I have a 77' and two 79' that sometimes require me to push down on the hood as I hold the release latch. Sometimes in the middle sometimes on one side or the other. Sometimes I have to push/pull the hood to the left or right to get it to release.

Most of the time it works normally. I think the body/frame is flexing on certain terrain causing the problem.

Reply to
Marvin Oliver

Have a '73 with the same problem. I just push the release lever and bang down on the hood with the palm of my other hand. Releases every time. but I sure wish I could figure out just how to correct this. When I first installed the (new) hood it worked perfectly every time. Any suggestions kindly appreciated.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

"Ernie Sparks" snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote in news:wS%7e.4618$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

most of the ones I see are the latch just drags at the bottom when latched. the release spring usually needs to be lengthened out again. Just grab and pull down hard. Very carefull adj of the latch will sometimes work. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff